I would like to add one point to this exchange. You speak that you have no sailing experience but you are interested in purchasing a Nara 5.5. To have never sailed and plan to start on a Nacra 5.5 may be a bit challenging. If you have other catamaran sailors in the area, I believe you will be fine. I speak from personal experience, as there are very few catamaran sailors within an hour’s drive of my home. Again, if you have a fleet near you, make sure you hook up with someone who is willing to take you out.

I sailed a Hobie 16 for several years back in the 80s. I decided to get back into sailing and made a post similar to yours on the old forum in 2001. I became convinced from the comments that an Inter 18 was what I needed. Technically, the boat is far more complicated than my old 1972 Hobie 16—from the downhaul to the spinnaker. Just rigging it by myself for the first time was a challenge. Sailing it for the first time (with only my inexperienced crew) was a real trip. Right off of the beach, I started to fly a hull as the boat accelerated forward. The boat was far more powerful than I expected and my lack of experience only complicated the issue. Truthfully, if not for a sailor named Mark Meis, I still may still be wondering how to rig parts of this boat.

So, buy the boat of your dreams. Just make sure that there will be someone around to go out with you the first couple of times. You may want to buy Rick’s book and read it before going out for the first time as well.

Just my opinion for what it is worth.