Hi Carl
<br>The broad goal of this effort is clear. Perhaps we need to narrow the focus and see what kind of consensus emerges AND see who is left out by such a path.
<br>
<br>I will start with an 8.5 x 20 foot boat at approx 390 lbs does not need any more sail area then an I20. Where are we then on the level playing field... 2001 Texel ratings ae very close.
<br>
<br>
<br>2001 Texel rule Mystere 6.o Xl and Nacra 6.0 + 4 point spin hit = 95 (4 point hit is the 2002 spin hit)
<br>
<br>Euro I20 = 97
<br>Tornado = 96
<br>US I20... probalby a 96 on texel
<br>So... the math claims that these boats are all about equal on the race course. We should declare victory... rename all 20 foot spin triangle starts as formula 20 and go race.
<br>
<br>Since the designers and experience tell us that all of these boats are "overpowered" we Could eliminate the minimum weight as an issue (the Optimum weight will be determined on the water) You can impose a strict windseed minimum and maximum for racing
<br>
<br>Having set up the solution let me critique it. The majority of the critisim is based on the perception of the market. This perception does not have to be accurate.
<br>
<br>No one believes that the Tornado can loose in breeze given its beam.
<br>
<br>Everyone believes that their are differences in hull shape that are more or less advantaged at different wind speeds. The Portsmouth windspeed adjustments try to correct this limitation of texel. (some beieve this is valid... others like yourself HATE IT) All rigs/sail plans are not developed equally. Compare the tornado's constant evolution of the rig with the static nature of a manufacturers one design class rig.
<br>
<br>Weight matters to all sailors the competitive weight band for most boats is 20 to 30 lbs centered around the optimum. How do you increase this band? Sail power controls the speed. The one unique advantage of formula over a one design is the ability to weight correct with sail area. This adds complexity and makes marketing to sponsors very difficult.
<br>
<br>Texel, ISAF and Portsmouth are not the same as Formula rules. Formula lives or dies on the observation that all the boats really are the same speed. If one boat is really faster... the formula class will die. In a true formulae class the builders will market quality of build... price, availability, dealer support, one design racing opportunities. etc etc This is the problem with creating a formula class with our historical boats. We just don't believe the texel rating and the I20 is the dominant boat followed by the 6.0 and Hobie 20 (spin equipped racing)
<br>
<br>Mind you, Performance is hoping that their F18 is a Tiger and I18 killer because they will sell more boats. Hobie will counter if the F18 seems to have an edge. (Nacra 6.0's won out over the Mystere 6.0 based on the Worrell 1000. The dominant boat was the nacra... the Dart Hawk, Hobie 20 and Mystere's were not well represented numbers wise and had issues on the race course. While this one result does not prove anything... in the marketplace it sure spoke volumes.
<br>
<br>One Solution to the perception problem ... test the boats in speed trials. Replicate the Sailing world trial of several years ago with pro sailors except that you are trying to measure the boats performance and use it to assess just how acurate the Texel, Isaf or Portsmouth rating actual is... If they are close enough.... we declare victory and go racing.
<br>
<br>Or we can poll the pro sailors in Europe who don't have current factory ties. Perhaps they can pass judgement on .. are all these boats even on the race course.
<br>
<br>What is left out is Development classes.
<br>
<br>The dominiatar (I have no idea what this is)
<br>the M18 and the M20(have seen this one) and Mystere 2000. have texel numbers below the f20 range. These are autoclaved all carbon boats. They are going to race in open class untill the marketplace accepts them (or the Olympics picks one of them) I would let these guys race wtih F20 and score them on your rating system of choice and then score your formula 20 and finally score any one design fleet and lastly... score A and B fleets. TROPHIES ARE CHEAP!
<br>
<br>Well I am certainly not married to this proposal I will ask how does this trial ballon fly?
<br>Mark
<br><br><br>

Attached Files
4289- (186 downloads)

crac.sailregattas.com