Whoa, I'm having problems here! I posted a response that did not update. So I'll try again.
<br>
<br>Carl, we are the ONLY formula class that is looking into grandfathering old boats. For this conversation lets not even think about the "new" I20 and Fox.
<br>
<br>As for the dead boat club. We are looking at seperate issues. Crew weight and boat weight. Boat weight 385 Minimum and crew weight 350 minimum (unless corrected to)
<br>
<br>You my friend are looking at this as the glass half empty.
<br>
<br>If you have a 405 lbs boat and weigh in at 330 then your ok to race. Your boat is a natural corrector. Will this bring in alot of existing sailors? YES.
<br>
<br>The rules are proposed to get the class down to the boat weights that you not so long ago where in favor of.
<br>
<br>The rules are also proposed to get the formula assoc's working in concert. SO that F16 will feed F 18 and then NAF20. Will people try to get to minimum weights. YES. But they already do! This just evens the racing out in to a sane area.
<br>
<br>The reason that most CWM's are in the 295-325 range is due to marketing. (Remember Carl this is my fort'e) And where set there to pull people off the H16's. Hell Hobie admits this.
<br>Is there any basis in what it takes to sail these boats? Nope, nada, negative, -- NO.
<br>
<br>If you layout several regatta lists and figure boat weights and crew weights you will find out that people on the average are already at what we are proposing when you look at spinnaker equipt boats. You can not quote the H20 weights because most H20 sailors do not sail a spinnaker and when we do we go with larger crews.
<br>
<br>Will the H20 have a weight advantage? No. since it still has to meet BOAT Weight minimums just like everyone else.
<br>
<br>If the boat weighs more than you can figure that into your crew correction. If it weighs less and you weigh more -- too bad add weight to the boat and go on a diet if your upset about it.
<br>
<br>350 (CWM) gives two 175 guys an even break on a 385 BWM boat.
<br>
<br>330 (CWM) gives a team an even break on a 405 BWM budget boat.
<br>
<br>This is still skewed towards the lighter teams but it is the fairest, cheapest, and easiest to regulate compromise that I have ever heard of.
<br>
<br>It makes since to the RC to have very little headache other than just starting and scoring. And all they have to do is carry a bathroom scale at a race to weigh crews at check in. As for the boat it should be weighed by the class anyway. How? well lets talk about that after we get to rules committee.
<br>
<br>Thanks
<br>Steve<br><br>

Attached Files
4497- (134 downloads)