Simon, so you reckon it's an optical illusion caused by a coincident seam? Yeah could be. Shame though 'cos it sort of spoils the look of the sail....

Not an optical illusion, I just think the cloth is double thickness there as there is a join I think

What do you mean by the ECPR being interesting?

Well,

First couple of hours were VERY light and I was actually going quite well, I was in with the Tornado's and was quite happy that most of the rest of the fleet was behind me (I was the slowest boat in the Full ECPR fleet) all the way to the Bradwell gate. Just before I got there the leading 6 or 7 Tornado's got a puff of wind from somewhere and off they went single trapping; I sat there for another 30 minutes... Grrrr.....

Picked up the wind and then sailed the next 6 miles to Colne with the hull just in the air with me sitting by the mast, the rest of the fleet were slowly passing me (T's Spitfires F18 Hurricane etc). This is not the fastest conditions for the 17 !

Just past the Colne the wind shifted more south and up went the kite, out on the wire and then played "not enough hands" trying to play the kite, traveller (only about 100 yds room before the beach so needed to keep high as poss) and steer. Going nicely now but can see the Tornado's also pop their kites and romp away. Sail like this allthe way to Walton (12 miles).

Now, as I turn back from Walton the wind starts to build so I now cannot fly the kite on the way back (wind is now shifting back east slowly) but cannot trap either so I end up sailing back from Walton to Colne (via Clacton) without the kite up, but without enough wind to trap - again not optimum....I know I am loosing loads of time on this leg as I spotted the lead Tornado's romping back - estimate I am about 15 minutes behind when I leave Walton after approx 4 hrs sailing.

Once I get back to the Colne the wind is now building nicely and I set course for Bradwell, out on the wire and starting to move a bit now, Time has turned and the water in now shooting back into the Brightlingsea rinve and it's getting lumpy, 1/2 way across I put the kite back up (at last) and start to really motor out on the wire; Fairly big and confused waves make it excxiting and start to feel a touch vunerable out there on my own.

Wind starts to more more east and build even more, becomes shifty and gusty for a while; one big gust was a good F6 (spray of the top of the waves) and became exciting trying to sheet the kite in, bear off and still maintain control (later told same gust nearly blew a couple of T's off the hard at Marconi). Find the Bradwell gate (another 6 miles) and then set course for home. Wind still building (but not as large as the gust mentioned) and now really shifting with the tide underneath me.

The river is busy and get caught in a port/stbd off the stone and have to do a quick kite drop to survive (sailing over my kite sheets so have to stop and sort this out)

Wind continues bo build to a nice F4-5 and have a great trip back.

Finished in an elapsed time of around 5 1/2 hrs and sailed approx 50 miles, GPS reported tyop speed of 19MPH and I felt like I had been run over by A truck next morning.

50 miles on your own is a long way; I loved it (first time I've done the full ECPR on my own) and learned a lot.

C U Next year !

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here