Jake,

I know what Vertglas is. I've got several gallons of it in my shop. Seems to me Jake, you put yourself in a bit of a duplicitous position when you tell me my comment is not true and then go on to say when sailing barefoot it's not quite as grippy as prior to applying the Vertglas; but that can be remedied by wearing good deck shoes. I didn't realize at the time that less grippy was a more acceptable description than slippery. That Jake is a distinction without significance. You say you applied the stuff over nonskid material on a mono hull. Most mono hulls put non skid on horizontal surfaces. A little less grippy on a horizontal surface, may be compounded when applied to a vertical surface. It sounds like you're disagreeing with me, though you haven't run a meaningful test.

I'm ignorant of some aspects of both of these products. Such as performance factors that extend beyond my own personal experience with them. I'd rather not make any claims beyond what I know. I was attempting to describe all the issues I could think of, so that the serious guys who had never used either product, wouldn't be hit with unforeseen surprises.

As I said in my earlier post, I've never used Vertglas on a cat. So personally I don't know what effect it may have, if any, on trapping out. You seem to be supporting the observations I've made on other boats, regarding increased initial slipperiness. Meaning the possibility that Vertglas may have an effect on trapping out by potentially making the hulls "less grippy," at least to barefoot sailors, especially without benefit of nonskid underfoot. When the first guy who actually puts this stuff on the sides of his hulls and sails on a "Verted" cat and comes back to this thread and tells us what happened, then we'll have something to go on. Until then it's conjecture.

At least as of now anybody who wishes to use the stuff will be better prepared. Because heaven forbid, had somebody applied Vertglas to their hulls and set sail on a gusty day, they well may have found themselves suddenly flying around the forestay, and as we all know there is simply no excuse for that kind of sailing mishap. So together we've made the world a safer place.

You know Jake I may be wrong, but I thought Greg Hill started this thread because he was interested in improving the "looks" of his hulls. Don't you think your disagreement over an interpretation of the quantitative intent of the word slippery vs less grippy just obscures the more important issue of UV hull damage and the potential value restoration products may offer some sailors?

Daniel