The Dart 18 is a good example of class rule abuse in Portsmouth. If you sail solo sloop-rigged on a Dart 18 you can claim uni-rig and then add the jib modifier. This gives you a DPN exactly the same as the sloop 2-up! Everyone else must take a basic sloop 2-up and takes the light weight hit for solo (L4 = 0.97). The difference? The sloop Dart loses nothing when sailed solo when all other solo sloops give up 2.5 min/hr. And the Dart guys say it's fair because that's the Dart rules.

Sucks... I can hear the OD guys laughing right now.

Then the Portsmouth you are using is flawed...

Why, well in a number of ways:

1, When sailing using your Portsmouth it is based on a "returns" system, where by the numbers are derived from the actual results on the water irrespective of how fast the boat actually is, or how good (or bad) the sailor(s) are.
2, You are then applying a constant adjustment to a "returns based" system to factor in extra sail(s) being carried.

So form experience of sailing the Dart 18 single handed and 2 up, the single handed boat (mainsail only) is similar performance to a 2 up boat (2 sails) up to about F4, after that the 2 up boats just sail away never to be seen again. The reason? the grunt really does matter as the rig is so simple (too simple) as you cannot easily depower and as per most single handing, at some point you just run out of hands...

Also, and this is the VERY important bit got you. A Dart 18 sailed by one person with the jib is not a Dart 18. Unless the class rules have been changed (and I doubt it) they said "a Dart 18 may be sailed by one person with mainsail only, or by 2 persons with the mainsail and Jib, (and I think there was provision for a 2 up boat to sail with only the mainsail if they required)).

So someone who claims that a Dart 18 sailed single handed with 2 sails is a Dart 18 (with a factor applied), is wrong. It is an 18 foot boat that looks exactly like a Dart 18, but is not being sailed as per the class rules and so is not a Dart 18 and so they cannot just claim the rating change to the "Dart 18 rating".

I would also think that the Dart 18 over there may have a nice rating, I could never win anything in my Dart 18 when it was windy, but then I was light at about 66kg then. For info, the Dart 18 main and jib 2 up has a SCHRS of 118 and the single handed version (main only) has an SCHRS of 119.

Simple as.

You guys are being had....

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here