Wouter will be able to catalog the current high tech cats and their masts. He posted a discussion on wing masts a while back which speaks to some of this.

If my memory serves me right the posts I devoted to this topic back then are still accurate. Catamarans in general are still converting from tear drop shapes masts (hobie, prindle, nacra) to the elliptical wingshaped masts (A-cats, F16's, Capricorn F18). All other mods like different layups of carbon are on a differt level in the way of gains, there are more to be considered refinements. Meaning that changing the layup of a teardrop shape carbon mast wins you less than getting any elliptical wingshape mast.

I have not seen any new fundamental developments in mast design after the upgrade to elliptical wingmasts. I agree with Bill here that these wingmast rigs (as found on A-cats, F16 and Capricorn F18) are pretty darn efficient. It will be difficult to find a new technique that will again be a major improvement.

Do a search on this topic. It has been covered several times now. Also do a search on the F16 forum if you are interested in the specifics of a wingmast. There are some posts that deal with the differences between it and more conventional masts.

In the way of dinghy's I feel that many people forget that the right stay tension (they have alot more of them) is a way they use to change mast behaviour to suit the conditions. Cat rigs allow you to do this mostly on the fly while sailing (with exception of diamonds) In this respect I call cat rigs superior.

In addition a fully automatic rig can only work great in its design conditions and mediocre outside of those. There is a reason why some skiffs and surfboards use different rig in different conditions. I call this a pretty brute force approach. Sort of chancing the gearbox in a race car to suit the track and weather conditions on a given race day. EXPENSIVE.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands