I don't have much interest in cross-handicap scoring or even sharing a start line with boats of a different class if it can be avoided.

May I ask why? I'm not being critical, I just would like to understand everyone's point of view.

Thanks.

I'm pretty focused on learning and trying to do as well as I can in racing. At the risk of sounding picky, mixing us up with other boats with different capabilities is frustrating if I'm trying to figure out how to get ahead of the F18 in front of me. For instance, a uni-rig Nacra F17 can point considerably higher than us and keep going. An I20 throws a hell of a wind shadow and can still point very well and go faster. If these boats are in our fleet, it becomes a large variable that we have to contend with. If I go for a pin-end start in an F18 fleet and hit the line well and clear on starboard, I'm golden (assuming it was the right decision). If I do the same thing with an I20 40 feet to my right on the line, he's going to walk me down soon and kill me with his wind shadow forcing me to make manuevers that I wouldn't make in an F18 only start. They're also capable of different things on the start line that have to be contended with and slower boats can also be a large variable. Some might say that it is simply something that, as a good sailor, I should be able to contend with. However, it doesn't really help me achieve my goal to do better at major one-design events.

Incidental traffic on the course is a little different and there is more time an opportunity to strategize around. However, if they're in our start, not only do I have to look for the F18 I'm targeting to go after or avoid, I now have to try not to get tangled up in a boat that can clobber me or get in our way. I would certainly rather deal with it when I have to than not race at all - but I don't have to like it.

Jake Kohl