For example the three largest events in Holland are run as single start - open class events. Indeed this means that 50 F18's share a start-line with for example 50+ other boats/designs.

Both the spring and autum cup series (4 sundays of racing in april and another 4 in october) are run in the open format.

We have about 22 regatta's of size here in the Netherlands. Of these only 3 or 4 run a seperate start for F18's. About 2 or 3 run them also for other classes that turn in at least 10 boats.

The largest regatta's are all open class/single start/single course regatta's. In some instances the small slower boats have their own scoring fleet but both fleets are open class for all boats put in them.

All the largest events are open format :

Texel : Over 500 boats
Rondje Tiengemeente : between 175 - 200 boats (depending on year)
Rem-race : 100+ boats
Jazz and Sail: about 70-80 boats if I remember correctly
Hoek van Holland - Scheveningen :

Etc

All the events that make up the NFB ranking (our national association where all cat classes and clubs are part of) are open class as well.

It is rare to see multiple courses/multiple starts. And if you see them then it is because the group of slow handicap boats are large enough to have their own racing. This typically means that about 20 to 50 boats fall in the category of having a Texel handicap of 110 and slower. All the boats faster then 110 (this includes all the spi baots) are then grouped together with their own scoring listing. In several cases the two fleets start together and race the same courses and are just seperated in the scoring.

I've been telling you all this for years now. Each springtime I get the same questions and dutifully I supply this info.

Wouter

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands