The attraction of strict manufacturer-supplied ODs is another matter (I know I can afford to race my manufacturer-supplied ODs for less than I can afford to race my development gear, and I just don't care if one is a couple of minutes quicker than the other).

Here's where we differ. Just because multiple manufacturers can supply an OD class does not make it a development class. I believe you can race cheaper with better gear if the classes were not strict one manufacturer. I also believe this would supply more business to local suppliers that could use our business.

Case in point - we just got our brand new tramp from our one design manufacturer. It has one less slot cut for lacing the back then there are pins on the crossbeam, meaning that one is not being used and the lacing is offset in areas. Checking other boats show that indeed, our tramp is a goof. We have a local sailmaker who does great work, and can supply sails at a better cost and quality that measure in. Plus, because he's local, he can look things over if there is a problem. He could also make the tramps. So, we could be cheaper, have better gear, and make the same speed. Again, all of this is not development stuff. But we must buy from the manufacturer...

We like to think of the cost of bringing in other suppliers as beginning an arms race. Maybe, but how much does it cost to get a crappy sail from the manufacturer, that you then race at a disadvantage, or have have to go through the hassle of explaining the need to return it to somebody on the other coast?

Just food for thought.