The first OD cat classes in England (Shearwater) and Australia (Yvonne) are both still alive - proof that ODs do NOT die as you claimed.

Kieth, bummer about your tramp. We had a similar problem with ours, in a class that HAS got multiple suppliers. We haven't really worried about it.....compared to the cost of updating to the new sails that competing sailmakers have brought out it's a minor problem.

I'm NOT having attacking ODs, or loose ODs, or development classes, they're all fantastic and all offer vital things to our sport. All I was doing is replying to a claim that ODs always die when they clearly do not, as is proven by the fact that the very first ones are still around.

Hiyas,

I don't think the OD's are doomed at all. The whole concept is evolving though. Not many classes that have lasted the distance are *exactly* the same as origional. H16's have changed, H14's change, even the Yvonne that you mentioned have changed. The boat was designed in the mid 50's and shortly after a spi was added. The rig and sailplan was changed in the early 90's and more recently the origional spi has changed to a huge assemetric (sp?). They are good to sail - like sitting in a big comfy arm chair

Tiger Mike