The US F16 class is trying to get some support for multiple fleets sharing the same starting sequence, course and timing at the Tradewinds Regatta. Each class of X or more boats will be scored as a fleet within the larger start. X being the number that previously defined whether or not you had a separate start.

The benefits of this scenario are: more competitive starts, more boats on the course to engage tactically, camraderie across fleets (enhance the conversation around the keg at night), easier start sequence management for the RC (= more races potentially) and a great chance for the US Sailing Handicap Committee to collect data from a large/well attended regatta.

The down sides are: timing of each boat taxes the RC (offset by fewer starts??) and potential for a non-fleet boat mixing it up with two contenders of another fleet.

Rick has agreed to listen to the sailors and combine at least the Open Low Portsmouth and the F16s. If anyone else in boats of similar sailing characteristics (N20, F18, etc.) would like to participate, then speak up. I am sure we can have more in-depth discussions at the bar Friday night.

I know the F18s will have a large enough group for their own competitive racing, but the invitation is extended to them as well.

Thoughts? This is NOT a discussion about Open/Handicap racing. It is about inclusion, I think one of the biggest problems in US cat sailing is the plethora of boats to choose, then as soon as 5 of the same make/model show up to a regatta they want to be sanctioned off and treated as a separate entity. Not good for keeping new sailors in the "in group". My two cents.

Tom