Several years ago the Miami YC was the base for the Tornadoes and it worked fairly well, although it was a task sailing down the Intracoastal Waterway to get to Biscayne Bay.
At least there was a bulletin board there. The RC would call the club from the sailing center and post whatever needed to be posted.
The protests were still heard at Coral Reef YC, however, but it was about a 15-20 minute drive.
Actually the drive from Crandon Park is also about the same.

As for the race course, the Tornadoes used to be in the upper section of the bay close to Crandon Park, Hobie Beach area and Bear Cut.
When I was the race officer, I would always leave harbor at 9AM for an 11AM start. By getting there early, I would set up my course lengths on the long side just to be sure we had enough water.
If I didn't get out early, the Laser guys would set up and push us up into the corner where we would not have enough water.
On windy days in order to have a long enough course, we had used as much as 2 miles per leg. You need a lot of water for that. Normally, the leg length is around 1.5 to 1.8 miles.
We had several squabbles with the Lasers about that. I would just tell them they had lots of room to their south and to move on down.

After I quit doing the race officer deal, another PRO made a habit of not "getting to the church on time." Consequently, they had very little room to maneuver and I heard a lot of bad vibes about boats going aground and damage.

I believe that due to the Tornado fleet in masse complaining about this, the powers to be simply moved them way down south toward the Feather Banks.

The venue on the north side worked out pretty good, albeit there was a land mass there that affected the wind. But, most of the sailors quickly figured out the winds and it was not that much of a problem.

If the fleet does not want a long sail to the venue, they should lobby to get it back to the north end and be sure the RC gets out early and stakes out its territory.

Another alternative is to get some sort of setup like they have at Crandon down a Matheson Hammock Park. The Echo Course would be right in front of them in that case.
Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com