HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
FYI:

For US SAILING Membership you may contact:

Ms Kate Daley, Membership Directer
E-Mail Address: katedaley@ussailing.org
Phone # (401)683-0800 ex685

Please note she is "REALLY GOOD PEOPLE" and will help you in any way she can ..... she will make sure that your membership WILL be through the Multihull Council-Golden Anchor Program.

ANNOUNCEMENT (from Kate):
Starting in 2009 all multihullers joining US Sailing through the Multihull Council will have unique membership cards and be included on a seperate "Multihull Membership" list... so multihullers will not be lost in the general membership pool ... and be able to officially prove ....

WE ARE MULTIHULLERS !!!!!!

HarryMurphey
H18MAG/P19MX
Hobie Fleet 54/CRAC-Open Class

Sail Flat, Sail Fast, Sail SAFE

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... [Re: HMurphey] #158840
10/31/08 12:07 PM
10/31/08 12:07 PM
F
fin. Offline
Carpal Tunnel
fin.  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
F

Done. Very nice lady indeed.

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... [Re: fin.] #158871
10/31/08 02:01 PM
10/31/08 02:01 PM
Seattle,Wa
Don_Atchley Offline
enthusiast
Don_Atchley  Offline
enthusiast

Seattle,Wa
I'd like to see more opportunity to have sponsorship. To be able to put advertising on the boats. These spinnakers offer a great platform that others would be willing to help pay for.

Hobie Tiger 2003
Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... [Re: Don_Atchley] #158882
10/31/08 03:16 PM
10/31/08 03:16 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
All of the ISAF world events are Cat C events,

All most all local cat events are Catagory C.... (Ask Todd or Jake about stickers.)

While Todd was out tybee 500ing... ISAF decided to clear up our long running dispute and declared that he was not a pro sailor for putting stickers on his sail!

The problem is finding that sponsor... take a look at the Melges 24 NA's... not many boats are flying sponsorship.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... [Re: fin.] #158890
10/31/08 05:51 PM
10/31/08 05:51 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted by Tikipete
Done. Very nice lady indeed.

Not only is she nice, she's a hottie, too wink
(I met her at the US Sailing AGM a couple of weeks ago.)

Though way too young for you or me, Pete. Well, maybe you. laugh

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... [Re: mbounds] #158891
10/31/08 05:53 PM
10/31/08 05:53 PM
F
fin. Offline
Carpal Tunnel
fin.  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
F

smile And my wife thought it was just about sailboats.

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... [Re: fin.] #158963
11/02/08 05:00 AM
11/02/08 05:00 AM
I
It's Arthur Piver's fault Offline
stranger
It's Arthur Piver's fault  Offline
stranger
I

I'm down with electing representatives, more shorter races near the shore and mixing up the type of racing - also making the multi a gender neutral event.

When I sailed CORK I sat out a race near the leeward mark. I had a telephoto lens and had a ball photographing the fleet - a delight easily shared if the mark is 40 m from the shore - wow.

Which multi is a complex issue. Maybe having an A or B class open would spice things up. Maybe go really radical have only one measurement say 150 sq ft or 20' LOA and let the designers have some fun too. A single constraint would probably too radical for the ISF so an inexpensive production multi would probably be the best choice. I like switching boats for each Olympics. Making the selection process fair seems difficult. If the selection were made on numbers produced we might see Aquacats in the Olympics. Perhaps an ISF/Olympic A class that could be produced as an inexpensive one design by any manufacturer would be the way to go.

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... [Re: John Williams] #158975
11/02/08 08:35 AM
11/02/08 08:35 AM
New Hampshire, USA
windswept Offline
addict
windswept  Offline
addict

New Hampshire, USA
http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/AGD_EQ-[5955].pdf
http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/2008_EC_12_11-[6073].pdf
http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/2008_OCSC_07_11-[6016].pdf
http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/AGDMH-[6333].pdf
http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/081-08_2012OlympicSailingCompetitionEvents-[6133].pdf
http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/079-08_2012OlympicSailingCompetitionEvents-[6131].pdf
This is a link to the working agenda of the ISAF conference. Section 10 relates to Olympic equipment for 2012. As stated earlier, it did make the agenda. Section 10-D i,ii. I do not think I have these working as links. You will have to copy and paste until I figure out what I did wrong in posting them as links.

Last edited by windswept; 11/02/08 08:55 AM.

Tom Siders
A-Cat USA-79
Tornado US775
Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... [Re: windswept] #159004
11/02/08 12:47 PM
11/02/08 12:47 PM
I
It's Arthur Piver's fault Offline
stranger
It's Arthur Piver's fault  Offline
stranger
I

OK, Thanks for the 'Heads Up' and the tools.

Clearly sailing and in particular the '11th Medal' and whether it will be a multihull event and further whether it will be a Tornado event are governed by the formal consideration of the various 'Submissions'.

Apparently there are political considerations as well as marketing issues and whether to adhere to the 5 disciplines.

Phew! And there's a full agenda for the Multihull Commission as well - not exactly an open invitation to wildcat rules and designs... although there is the 'ANY OTHER BUSINESS' item at the end of the meeting. laugh

Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... [Re: It's Arthur Piver's fault] #159686
11/06/08 10:20 AM
11/06/08 10:20 AM
New Hampshire, USA
windswept Offline
addict
windswept  Offline
addict

New Hampshire, USA
Well, the meetings start today. I hope that there is real progress during the meetings. Yachting NZ has stated one of the real concerns about leaving multihulls out for even one cycle and that is that the pipeline of sailors dries up as they switch to compete in other Olympic classes as well as it puts youth development into limbo. There definately is a lot of disagreement over both the 11th event submission and the five disciplines approach. I wish the multihull commission great luck during this meeting. They are definately fighting an uphill battle. Hopefully, John will send some updates during the meetings.

Tom Siders
A-Cat USA-79
Tornado US775
Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... [Re: windswept] #159800
11/07/08 12:18 AM
11/07/08 12:18 AM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Things have started of well,I think. I had drinks with Bundy, Pascoe, Brouwer, Brookes, Phippes, Dinsdale, Skidmore and several other multihull sailors last night. Everyone seemed very in touch with just how important this opportunity is to our discipline. There is a pre-meeting meeting this morning to finalize strategy and approach - the intention is to have the Commission's time in the room be productive and organized. Since it is an open meeting, it is important to not give the impression that we are unable to reach consensus or are prone to tangential bickering.

I'm grateful to those who have posted here, reached out to me directly, or made your feelings and ideas known in St. Pete. I'll post more later as things progress.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... [Re: John Williams] #159826
11/07/08 08:49 AM
11/07/08 08:49 AM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Good luck!

Luiz
Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... [Re: Luiz] #159888
11/07/08 03:40 PM
11/07/08 03:40 PM
New Hampshire, USA
windswept Offline
addict
windswept  Offline
addict

New Hampshire, USA
John,

How much of a consensus is there among the multihull committee? It sounds from your posting that there are some differring opions going on there. I would think that the agenda should be first, getting a multihull reinstated for 2012 and then what the equipment should be. As you know, I am a strong supporter of the Tornado for 2012. That would give time to either develop an alternate Olympic multihull class or decide upon an existing class to put forth as an Olympic candidate. Good luck during this meeting. You have our support. Let us know if there is anything that you need while there.

Last edited by windswept; 11/07/08 03:41 PM.

Tom Siders
A-Cat USA-79
Tornado US775
Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... [Re: John Williams] #159892
11/07/08 04:31 PM
11/07/08 04:31 PM
R
rexdenton Offline
enthusiast
rexdenton  Offline
enthusiast
R

Originally Posted by John Williams
Thanks to a lot of hard work, e-mails, and lobbying by cat sailors worldwide, we have a seat at the table next week at the ISAF meeting in Madrid, Spain. The new Multihull Commission will meet on Friday afternoon, November 7th. I will be there to represent the US. An agenda and mission are being developed, but since I'm your guy, tell me what you want to see set as priorities going forward. Don't limit yourself to the 2012 Games - think ahead and beyond. If 2012 (or the Games in general) is our only issue, we may not last long...

Seriously - let me know what you're thinking.

John,

I am looking forward to your reports regarding today's discussions at ISAF. I hope to see the rigid 5 event slate adhered to, as specified and desired by IOC, to include the multi.

Still watching, a year after the Estoril meeting, many letters later...

Rex

Nacra F18 #856
Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... [Re: rexdenton] #159926
11/08/08 04:01 AM
11/08/08 04:01 AM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Quick one as I'm late for the next meeting;

The Commission's first meeting went really well and there were about 25 people in the room. It appears that the Program Commission will meet next month and recommend to the Exec of IOC that the deletions of several medals for the 2012 Games be postponed, which includes sailing. The Exec meets in February and will consider that recommendation. The Multihull Commission is recommending that the 11th medal go to a Multihull Event, and that the equipment be decided upon notification. We heard from Hobie in support of the Tiger, Nacra in support of the Infusion, and from the ITA in support of the new one-design Tornado. The Commission is recommending that if ISAF wants the highest performance, the Tornado be used, and if they are seeking a boat with wider distribution, that the Tiger be used. It was pointed out to us that the Infusion is not an ISAF Recognized Class. While the Nacra F18 was, the Infusion, with a different designer, hasn't completed the process nor affixed plaques and paid per-boat licensing.

Other things that were under discussion; the Commission is recommending that the Executive not support the submission from Yachting Australia to drop the SL16 as an eligible boat for use in the ISAF Youth Worlds. We also got some reassurance that the multihull event will remain in the Youth Worlds for the forseeable future.

The Commission came out in favor of the various Five Discipline submissions, and is urging the Exec to make a decision sooner than later to allow the evaluation of a Women's platform. There is some indication that those submissions will be pushed off until 2011 since they all deal with the 2016 Games.

More in a bit - wish you guys were here. :-)

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... [Re: John Williams] #159928
11/08/08 09:59 AM
11/08/08 09:59 AM
R
rexdenton Offline
enthusiast
rexdenton  Offline
enthusiast
R

Quick one as I'm late for the next meeting;

The Commission's first meeting went really well and there were about 25 people in the room. It appears that the Program Commission will meet next month and recommend to the Exec of IOC that the deletions of several medals for the 2012 Games be postponed, which includes sailing.

John, that is very good news!

The Exec meets in February and will consider that recommendation.

I'd bet that the recommendation will be received favorably.

The Multihull Commission is recommending that the 11th medal go to a Multihull Event, and that the equipment be decided upon notification. We heard from Hobie in support of the Tiger, Nacra in support of the Infusion, and from the ITA in support of the new one-design Tornado. The Commission is recommending that if ISAF wants the highest performance, the Tornado be used, and if they are seeking a boat with wider distribution, that the Tiger be used. It was pointed out to us that the Infusion is not an ISAF Recognized Class. While the Nacra F18 was, the Infusion, with a different designer, hasn't completed the process nor affixed plaques and paid per-boat licensing.

Given the growth of the class, the F18 may be a better long-term strategy for MH OLympic development. Using an Alter rotation for the box class, it could be also used to the various Mfr's advantage. The T is certainly th MH thoroughbred, but integrating development of the more popular class by using the Olympics 'as one of our premier MH events' may ultimately garner greater sustainability, and excitement for MH's. (Don't get me wrong, I love the T, but thinking aloud here.) Choosing the growing boat class may work in the opposite direction as well, garnering greater excitement and better regional participation. The idea, overall, being to build a more solid and robust organization based on the growth potential of the competitive fleet.[/quote]

The Commission came out in favor of the various Five Discipline submissions, and is urging the Exec to make a decision sooner than later to allow the evaluation of a Women's platform. There is some indication that those submissions will be pushed off until 2011 since they all deal with the 2016 Games.

I'd rather like to see closure to the 5 event slate. There seems little reason to procrastinate, and the IOC has been clear about their desire on this point. Pushing it off may invite partisan lobbying, and it highly likely that veterans on the IOC many not be very tolerant. Disorganization and lack of efficiency may ultimately be bad for Olympic sailing.

Finally, I'd like to see some more robust methods of coverage. Sailing was better in China, but the internet offers many possibilities that were not explored. The coverage of sailing events could be greatly en as part of the sport which may be greatly enhanced by internet video feeds GPS resources, etc., that are currently available and relatively inexpensive technologies. Is their any forum for this discussion?

More in a bit - wish you guys were here. :-) [/quote]

We admire you, and thank you for your good work and commitment. And Congrats on the recent award!

Last edited by rexdenton; 11/08/08 10:02 AM.

Nacra F18 #856
Re: Ok, so we got a seat at the table... [Re: rexdenton] #159930
11/08/08 11:21 AM
11/08/08 11:21 AM
New Hampshire, USA
windswept Offline
addict
windswept  Offline
addict

New Hampshire, USA
John,

That is good news. Thank you for all of your hard work and the commitment that you have given to this cause.

Tom Siders
A-Cat USA-79
Tornado US775
Re: Multihull Council Golden Anchor?... [Re: John Williams] #160000
11/10/08 11:53 AM
11/10/08 11:53 AM
Florida, Pnellas, USA
dartfast Offline
dartfast  Offline

Florida, Pnellas, USA
John,
I am probably the only one confused about the Golden Anchor Membership thing so clue me in on the best choice.

My membership to U.S. Sailing is due for renewal on November 30, 2008. I have been a member for years and never knew of the Golden Anchor multihulls section to be counted in. After all the Tornado stuff this year I have been thinking of quitting U.S. Sailing. Don’t really use it much anymore.

My question is if I were going to renew a membership for next year which is the best way and how? Choices being: 1. Individual membership renewal form I received lists the cost of $60 for a year and includes 2009-2012 Rule Book, $25,000 Accident Medical Insurance and $50,000 Death Benefit. 2. Looking at the Golden Anchor form you put online the cost is $50 for a year but seems that it will expire Sept 30, 2009, doesn’t show what goes with it either, but does show support for multihulls, and what does that get us Cat Sailors?
How about the other question from the regular member that wants to be counted in the Multihull Council Golden Anchor section of U.S. Sailing?

This could be your opportunity to get off your chair and sell it to everyone.

Terry Fondrk

Terry
Re: Multihull Council Golden Anchor?... [Re: dartfast] #160005
11/10/08 12:44 PM
11/10/08 12:44 PM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

John, I am VERY CONFUSED by this... Your avitar shows Mickey Mouse's Body and a human head... HOW CAN THIS BE????

Oh yea.. and thanks for the updates at the meeting...

Re: Multihull Council Golden Anchor?... [Re: dartfast] #160007
11/10/08 12:49 PM
11/10/08 12:49 PM
Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
This could be your opportunity to get off your chair and sell it to everyone.

I hope I am just missunderstanding your meaning of that but John has been a HUGE voice for us. If you read any of his previous posts on the subject, You'll see he has been "off his chair" and doing more for us than any other cat sailor out there. I think a "thank you" would be more in line for him than a request from you.

Lee

Keyboard sailors are always faster in all conditions.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 409 guests, and 98 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022