SEQ Mossies #170611
03/05/09 05:31 PM
03/05/09 05:31 PM
Thorneside | QLD | AUS
furr_ball Offline OP
furr_ball  Offline OP

Thorneside | QLD | AUS
Hey there,

The repairs took a little longer than planned but the boat will be back in the water this weekend and sailing at Cleveland.

Will still have a few things to do but just have to get back sailing.

Would be able to sail at other locations over coming weeks if others want to meet up.

I am also planning on sailing at Lake Cootharaba at Easter in their All Boats Regatta - 10 - 12 April, check the sailing club webpage for basic details - NOR for this year is not up yet.

We will camping at camp ground and sailing sloop + kite with my 2 boys.

Hope to meet up soon.

Drew........Furr_ball........Mosquito 1635
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: furr_ball] #170632
03/05/09 09:39 PM
03/05/09 09:39 PM
Bribie Island, QLD
M
MCGriffith Offline
journeyman
MCGriffith  Offline
journeyman
M

Bribie Island, QLD
I was down at cleveland for a sail on the 22nd, was more of a spur of the moment thing as other clubs werent racing that day/humpybong had the f18 nats. Was a good 20+ knots of wind, i ended up capsizing with the kite up for the first time, was a bit too much for me to handle in that kind of wind, a wave sent me into an unexpected jibe and that was it. But a nice club, very friendly members, a very crowded rigging area though and limited parking, but nice to sail from. Unfortunately i wont be able to sail for the next 2 weekends, but will try to meet up for a sail on the 22nd.

Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: MCGriffith] #170735
03/06/09 08:08 PM
03/06/09 08:08 PM
Thorneside | QLD | AUS
furr_ball Offline OP
furr_ball  Offline OP

Thorneside | QLD | AUS
Hi,

Yes I saw you listed in race list for that day, the wind was up a bit.

It is a good club but yes space is tight.

Would be OK with sailing somewhere on 22nd, let me knwo if you have any suggestions or preference.

Cheers,

Cleveland has its Coochie Island race on that day, I will find out some more details of course

Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: furr_ball] #170895
03/08/09 11:23 PM
03/08/09 11:23 PM
Bribie Island, QLD
M
MCGriffith Offline
journeyman
MCGriffith  Offline
journeyman
M

Bribie Island, QLD
Hey Drew, did u end up taking the mossie out for a sail on sunday? if so, how'd she go?

Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: MCGriffith] #170919
03/09/09 07:19 AM
03/09/09 07:19 AM
Thorneside | QLD | AUS
furr_ball Offline OP
furr_ball  Offline OP

Thorneside | QLD | AUS
Hey there,

Alas, I did not make start line. Had trouble Sat afternoon getting inspection ports back on and sealed, did not want to take in water, I was sad but better to not risk it.

The ports are on now and will be all good for this Sunday. I am putting spinnaker set up together this week and should have it fitted as well.

I will either sail at Cleveland or I noticed Samsonvale has a breakfast do on as well. Might see what the forecast is Sat and then decide which venue.

Will post a report after Sunday.

Cheers,

Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: furr_ball] #171030
03/09/09 06:45 PM
03/09/09 06:45 PM
Bribie Island, QLD
M
MCGriffith Offline
journeyman
MCGriffith  Offline
journeyman
M

Bribie Island, QLD
If its a very windy day, too windy for the bay, then samsonvale is great, otherwise cleveland would probably have better wind. If you do decide to go to samsonvale, you'll have to get out to the gate between 8:30-9:00, the club is located in national park and is off limit to the public (makes for great quiet undisturbed racing, all you can hear out there is the wind, the water and the birds), club members all have keys and will be more than happy to let you through the gate when they go through (most of them arrive between 8:30-9:00), otherwise you can usually give someone a call down at the club, and someone will usually drive out and open the gate for you if ur running a little late.

Last edited by MCGriffith; 03/09/09 06:45 PM.
Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: MCGriffith] #171769
03/15/09 04:31 AM
03/15/09 04:31 AM
Bribie Island, QLD
M
MCGriffith Offline
journeyman
MCGriffith  Offline
journeyman
M

Bribie Island, QLD
Drew, where abouts are you staying for the All boats regatta at Lake Cootharaba, im more than likely going to come up for the weekend, i hear theres a camp site right next to the club?

Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: MCGriffith] #171776
03/15/09 06:09 AM
03/15/09 06:09 AM
Thorneside | QLD | AUS
furr_ball Offline OP
furr_ball  Offline OP

Thorneside | QLD | AUS
Hi,

We will be camping at council camp ground which is few hundred metres from club, think there is a private caravan park closer but have not checked them out.
The council caretaker said they do not turn people away and it will be busy as it's Easter but we will have to leave trailers outside camp ground.

You can get phone numbers on Lake Cootharaba website for accomodation.
The state A class titles are on as well in conjunction with the all boats regatta so there will be a sizeable fleet.

I sailed at Cleveland today with my 2 boys and all went well so we were three up. It was a great day on the water.
Have included a photo of boat plus my two crew.

That would be great if you are going to Cootharaba at Easter.

Where are you sailing over next few weekends?

[img][IMG]http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg24/boredmore/Image005.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][IMG]http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg24/boredmore/Image004.jpg[/img][/img]

Cheers, Drew

Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: furr_ball] #171777
03/15/09 06:31 AM
03/15/09 06:31 AM
Thorneside | QLD | AUS
furr_ball Offline OP
furr_ball  Offline OP

Thorneside | QLD | AUS
Hey there,

Not sure if image upload worked, have tried again.

[Linked Image][/img]

[Linked Image][/img]

Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: furr_ball] #171778
03/15/09 06:38 AM
03/15/09 06:38 AM
Bribie Island, QLD
M
MCGriffith Offline
journeyman
MCGriffith  Offline
journeyman
M

Bribie Island, QLD
Next Weekend i will be at either humpybong or maybe cleveland, as samsonvale and bribie arent racing, the following weekend i will be at bribie. (There was racing on at bribie today, but it was also the girlfriends birthday, so sailing took a back seat this weekend, talk about the weather gods rubbing it in my face though, it was an absolutely beautiful day for a sail up here, 10-15 knots, 30C, had to almost hide the key for the trailer and strap my self to something to keep from heading out, the things we do for love).

I was looking into the Boreen Point Camping ground (council park) as well, however from what i hear they run on a first come first serve basis, no bookings, so i was considering going up on thursday to secure a camp site, as for boat storage i would think the sailing club would have a rigging ground where boats can be left with masts up overnight as is the norm with most big regattas ive been to, if not then we should be able to keep them on the shore, not sure how much a tide comes through the river.

Great to see you're finally out on the water, i hope you boys had a great time, if theres one thing we need its to get younger generations as excited about sailing as we are.

Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: MCGriffith] #171782
03/15/09 06:55 AM
03/15/09 06:55 AM
Thorneside | QLD | AUS
furr_ball Offline OP
furr_ball  Offline OP

Thorneside | QLD | AUS
Hey there,

Yes council ground is first come and no bookings - the caretaker reassured me they turn no one away it just can get tight.

Would agree that boats can stay on beach set up, and may be able to have trailers there.

We will be getting up there Fri morning, aiming for around 10.00am.

Next weekend I am solo on boat. Cleveland has a race down to Coochie Island and back which will possibly have some long reaches in it, I think there was talk of some prizes and a BBQ as well. Could be good, probably check weather Fri and Sat and see then where is best.

Maybe we can sort something out later in week as to where to sail.

Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: furr_ball] #171800
03/15/09 03:39 PM
03/15/09 03:39 PM
Bribie Island, QLD
M
MCGriffith Offline
journeyman
MCGriffith  Offline
journeyman
M

Bribie Island, QLD
Yeah sounds good. will discuss with you later this week where might be the best place to sail.

Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: MCGriffith] #171808
03/15/09 07:06 PM
03/15/09 07:06 PM
Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
ncik Offline
old hand
ncik  Offline
old hand

boats can be left on either the camp ground beach or main beach in front of sailing club. tide is only a few inches and doesn't affect boat storage. there is a long wade to deep enough water if leaving your boat at the camp ground beach, but with good conditions you can usually slow sail till the boards can go down.

a lot of ppl go up the weekend before easter to setup a tent because it is very busy, but you can usually squeeze in somewhere at the last minute. don't turn up late at night, the caretakers get very upset. caravan park next to club closed down a long time ago and the lots have been for sale since.

Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: ncik] #171837
03/16/09 02:21 AM
03/16/09 02:21 AM
Bribie Island, QLD
M
MCGriffith Offline
journeyman
MCGriffith  Offline
journeyman
M

Bribie Island, QLD
Thanks for the info nick.

Has anyone raced in the All boats regatta before? I was speaking to one of 5.8 sailors from bribie yesterday and he was saying last time he went in it, the whole system was very confusing, with all boats racing against each other on yardstick, but doing a different number of laps, e.g 1 for monos 3 for cats, but with times still corrected using vyc?? Apparently the mono's tend to clean up the prizes, if thats how it works im not suprised, nothing like a yardstick race with a 2 lap headstart. The only thing i could think of as to how it might work, is that the monos do less laps so that the start and finish is exciting (i.e. monos and cats start and finish close together), with monos using their 1 lap time and cats using an average time of their 3 laps, with times then being corrected by VYS. Anyone know?

Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: MCGriffith] #171939
03/16/09 06:11 PM
03/16/09 06:11 PM
ncik Offline
old hand
ncik  Offline
old hand

I couldn't figure it out last time I bothered to try.

Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: ncik] #171942
03/16/09 06:36 PM
03/16/09 06:36 PM
East Gippsland, Australia
Tim_Mozzie Offline
old hand
Tim_Mozzie  Offline
old hand

East Gippsland, Australia
So long as everybody is on the same course, then correcting for the number of laps that different divisions do is not hard. This system is built in to TopYacht so it's really easy to do the results.

I've just looked at the NoR for last year's regatta. It's a little confusing but it looks like they have a division for cats (3) and a division for most of the dinghies (2), but these divisions will be divided into "slow" and "fast" and given a different number of laps to sail, but then their times will be multiplied up to get a time for 4 laps. This means the slow cats and fast cats will be racing a similar amount of time but can still get an overall result.

It doesn't look like the monos are scored against the cats - which is a relief. Racing multihulls against monohulls is a no-no.

Last edited by Tim_Mozzie; 03/16/09 06:47 PM. Reason: Found the NoR

Tim Shepperd
Mosquito 1775
Karma Cat
Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: Tim_Mozzie] #171954
03/16/09 08:14 PM
03/16/09 08:14 PM
Thorneside | QLD | AUS
furr_ball Offline OP
furr_ball  Offline OP

Thorneside | QLD | AUS
Hi all,

Never sailed in it before, thought it would be a good few days of sailing, racing and enjoying the few days of holiday with my kids.

This year the A class states are on in conjunction with the regatta.

Expecting it to be busy and lots of boats and sailors which tends to make it more fun.....I hope!

I will check as to how it is run and scored just to be sure.

Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: furr_ball] #171967
03/16/09 10:37 PM
03/16/09 10:37 PM
Brisvegas
ACE11 Offline
ACE11  Offline

Brisvegas
Hello all,

I'm a member of LCSC and the organisor of the A Class State Titles there at Easter. Perhaps I can answer some of the questions reaised above about the regatta. Firstly, it would be wonderful to see some Mozzies attend. The club had many sailing there in their heyday of the seventies and eighties, including being the home club of a former national champion - Andy Duffield. Vic Collett, another National Champion was also a regular visitor.
The A Class States will be run on the same course but with separate starts from the Alboats. We will also have 8 heats with the general fleet having 5. The difference being we'll have back to backs on the three afternoons. So please leave some rum for us in the bar as we'll be getting back later than you!
The A's will have separate results from the Alboats.
As mentioned above, it's easy to convert all results for the general fleet to one common base even though they are radically different speeds and doing a different number of laps. TopYacht simply calculates an elapsed time per lap and then converts to a base of 4 laps and applies the appropriate yardstick. We've been using this sytem for a wide range of cats and monoslugs every week for a number of years and it seems to work well. I disagree with the comment about monoslugs and multis on VYC. We do plenty of sailing in just such circumstances and the good sailors who are at the pointy end of their fleet in national and state titles tend to do well in club races as well, regardless of the type of boat they are sailing. I'd say if the monoslugs won a past regatta it was because they were the better sailors. Remember that no yardstick will compensate for a well tuned boat and skillfull crew against an older boat with inexperienced crew.
Anyway, I reckon leave all this aside - winning would be a bonus - it's a great place to sail, plenty of boats to sail with, good tucker at the club, plenty of Bundy and like minded conversation.
Come up and say hello - I'm on an Ashby Geltek Flyer II hull number 20.

Cheers
John Dowling

Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: ACE11] #171969
03/16/09 11:55 PM
03/16/09 11:55 PM
Thorneside | QLD | AUS
furr_ball Offline OP
furr_ball  Offline OP

Thorneside | QLD | AUS
Hi John,

Thanks for response, I will be there that's for sure, have it already booked in calendar.

Looking forward to the sailing and people.

Also will take you up on invite to say hello, might borrow some setup ideas off the 'A'.

Mine is the grey mossie with black kite #1635.

See you at Easter.

Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: furr_ball] #171970
03/17/09 12:47 AM
03/17/09 12:47 AM
Bribie Island, QLD
M
MCGriffith Offline
journeyman
MCGriffith  Offline
journeyman
M

Bribie Island, QLD
I dont think the two mossies with kites will be hard to miss on the water, hopefully we can let everyone know that mossies in qld are still around and are back on the water.

Ive actually raced against Vic Collett, he races an A-class out of Humpybong as does his son Brad, who came 2nd in the recent F18 nationals, and placed very well in the A-class nationals and worlds recently i believe. Both very good sailors, id heard rumours they use to be mossie sailors, but havent spoken to them yet.

Will see you up there john, good luck with the a-class comp.

Last edited by MCGriffith; 03/17/09 12:47 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 451 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022