Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: MCGriffith] #173733
04/03/09 02:31 AM
04/03/09 02:31 AM
greymatter Offline
greymatter  Offline

on ebay mossie 1626 from Paradise point. $300
anyone now anything about this boat, could be good to get another mossie sailor on the water in QLD, how about QLD national titles in a couple of years time, if the numbers keep on multipling.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: greymatter] #173801
04/03/09 07:37 PM
04/03/09 07:37 PM
Bribie Island, QLD
M
MCGriffith Offline
journeyman
MCGriffith  Offline
journeyman
M

Bribie Island, QLD
$300 is just the starting bid, i suspect he wants a bit more for it than that, but it looks quite good, i might talk to commodore up here at bribie and see if they might take it on as a sail training/racing boat for the juniors, as atm they just put around on fevers and corsairs watching us cat sailors blast by often asking if any of us want to swap boats for the day wink

Also theres a mosquito sail number 968 i think, at Alderly in brisbane, i had a look at it to see if it was in good enough condition to be usable, or just scrapable for parts. He wants $300 for it, theres some delamination of the hulls, but the decks of the hulls are shot, as they are rotted and would need to be replaced, the sides of the hulls seem to be fine as they seemed to be glassed right up to the decks inside and out with from what i could tell to be no signs of rot. The very tips of the bows seemed a bit soft, the back of the sterns however felt solid. The daggerboard trunks felt very solid. The sail is in one piece but the fabric is old. The rudders are garbage, but the daggerboards seemed ok, the old style of boards though, the spars and stays from what i saw seemed in good nic. Comes on a registered trailor that looks in fairly good condition, Has a large diameter PVC tube as a sail tube. Didnt really want to take this one on my self as i dont have any boat building experience and dont know how much effort or money would be involved in replacing the decks, but it could be a relatively cheap fix-er-up-er-er. Any estimates on the cost of replacing the decks, and probably the addition of some more bulkheads would be. Id love to see another mossie back on the water, especially in qld, so if its not too much, i may suggest it to the club as well, if anyone thinks its worthwhile.

Last edited by MCGriffith; 04/03/09 07:44 PM.
Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: MCGriffith] #173806
04/03/09 08:25 PM
04/03/09 08:25 PM
Port Noarlunga, SA, Australia
D
Darryn Offline
addict
Darryn  Offline
addict
D

Port Noarlunga, SA, Australia
Set of painted plywood hulls here with foils, if the fittings are ok on 968 may be able to make a cheap "new" boat.
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~mosquito/boats_for_sale.php

The older mast walls are a bit thicker then the new ones so can be good for mk2's or heavier mk1 sailors.

Darryn

Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: Darryn] #173826
04/04/09 12:54 AM
04/04/09 12:54 AM
Lake Bonney, SA
dkd Offline
enthusiast
dkd  Offline
enthusiast

Lake Bonney, SA
McG,

I would think that Vic Collet would happily passon any ifo and tips he has for mossies, and yes he was a very good mossie sailor.

Good to continue to see you guys slowly put more boats on the water up there, keep up th good work ( have you all there talked to Ben yet about a combined assoc until both states have enough numbers to stand alone???.... and remember you will need to be finanicial member of a state assoc for the Nationals)

David,
Salpicon de Resplandor , 1744

Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: dkd] #173849
04/04/09 04:33 PM
04/04/09 04:33 PM
greymatter Offline
greymatter  Offline

from what you say about 968 it could be a bolokey boat, they were fibre glass hull with timber deck, these were not a good boat, heavy, soft and no shape or volume in the hulls one to avoide even as a first boat, one of these would turn you of sailing a catamaran ever again. but if there is a trailer, good mast and fittings it could be worth the $300 dollors. and a trip to the tip to get rid of the fibre glass hulls.

Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: greymatter] #173913
04/05/09 05:50 PM
04/05/09 05:50 PM
East Gippsland, Australia
Tim_Mozzie Offline
old hand
Tim_Mozzie  Offline
old hand

East Gippsland, Australia
A "Bolokey" boat!!!!!!!
Brilliant. If I was going into the business of building catamarans I would not have thought of that business name laugh laugh

Sums up the type of boat nicely though. I think you are right greymatter. These old wrecks can do more harm than good and really put people off sailing (or at least sailing Mosquitoes). They can however be a very good source for a trailer and (less so) for fittings.

Tim Shepperd
Mosquito 1775
Karma Cat
Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: Tim_Mozzie] #173914
04/05/09 06:18 PM
04/05/09 06:18 PM
Thorneside | QLD | AUS
furr_ball Offline OP
furr_ball  Offline OP

Thorneside | QLD | AUS
Had been thinking of the one on ebay for a spare mast, boom etc but it is now at $500.00.

Will make sure to send some emails to winning bidder and try to promote sailing with other mozzies or at the minimum get a name and contact number.

Unless that is the Bribie lot bidding on it?

David - have not discussed matters with Ben as yet, will get around to it after Easter.

At this stage it seems to be myself and Michael in SEQ - our friend from the west of Qld seems to have got lost on the way from Mt Isa.

Hopefully we can create some interest over the coming months by sailing together.

Easter we are at Lake Cootharaba for All Boats - so will have 2 mozzies with kite - hopefully we can make a positive impression on some there and generate new interest in the class.

Will post a report after Easter.

Cheers,

Drew........Furr_ball........Mosquito 1635
Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: furr_ball] #173922
04/05/09 08:55 PM
04/05/09 08:55 PM
Bribie Island, QLD
M
MCGriffith Offline
journeyman
MCGriffith  Offline
journeyman
M

Bribie Island, QLD
No its not Bribie biding on it, bribie's next committee meeting isnt until the 18th, so i imagine it will be sold by then. I was also considering emailing the seller, and asking him to give the buyer my contact details as well as the address to this forum.

I was out at samsonvale again yesterday, First race was light wind, but good practice, second race was about 15 knots, was a blast, managed to leave the fleet behind with the spinnaker only to end up in a patch of glassy water to sit and watch everyone catch up as they followed the wind on the other side of the lake frown But it was good fun, even managed to get out on trapeze whilst flying the kite and a hull, which was a first for me, and challenging as well, i needed to use the foot strap for the first time, its amazing how the simple act of holding onto the kite sheet will pull you forward when you out on trapeze, especially in a gust. Gave one guy on a hobie ai a great show as a gust hit and my foot wasnt in the strap and i swung around from the back of the boat back onto the deck at the front beam. Even worse was, ive setup a camera bracket for the end of the spinnaker pole, and i used all the battery filming the first (light wind and uneventful) race frown so i didnt get it on camera!

More news from the day however. After heading up to the club house for lunch after the first race, i was heading back down to my boat when i noticed another boat at distance setting up, with what appeared to be a mosquito logo on the sail. Upon getting closer it turned out it was, it was mosquito sail number 706. Unfortunately upon closer inspection, the rest of the boat appeared to be somewhat of a mutant. Looked like somewhere underneath were mosquito hulls, that had been built up upon, with a wooden dingy like deck area built between the hulls, and resort style hobie wooden rudders on the back. Didnt have time to chat to the owner as i was short on time for the 2nd race, but the owner didnt race, just sailed around the lake a bit, and was gone by the time the race was over.

Last edited by MCGriffith; 04/05/09 08:58 PM.
Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: MCGriffith] #174315
04/08/09 03:51 PM
04/08/09 03:51 PM
Thorneside | QLD | AUS
furr_ball Offline OP
furr_ball  Offline OP

Thorneside | QLD | AUS
Hi,

Sailing Easter at Cootharaba All Boats regatta.

LCSC has advised on their website all good for regatta this weekend, there was some worry about recent flood waters from all the rain but all OK.

Weather looks good, winds 10 - 20 knots plus maybe a few showers.

Will be heading up late Thursday night to avoid traffic, probably just sleep in the bus and then set up camp Fri morning.

Michael - you still coming?

Looking forward to 3 days of good sailing & racing.

Cheers,

Drew........Furr_ball........Mosquito 1635
Re: SEQ Mossies [Re: furr_ball] #174418
04/10/09 02:38 AM
04/10/09 02:38 AM
Bribie Island, QLD
M
MCGriffith Offline
journeyman
MCGriffith  Offline
journeyman
M

Bribie Island, QLD
Unfortunately i twisted my ankle at training on wednesday night (im a martial arts instructor), so no sailing for me for a few days frown , so i wont make it to cootharaba this easter.
Which is a real shame as i was really looking forward to it, but i should hopefully be back on the water next weekend.

Last edited by MCGriffith; 04/10/09 02:39 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 615 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022