Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Cary Palmer
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Originally Posted by Cary Palmer
And just to put in in perspective, there are only 3.5 active SEACATS left that somehow pull this off every year.

Is Dave the 1/2?

No TAWD, it's you man, it's always you . . .

Am I an honorary 1/2 Seacat. Which am I Sea or Cat or maybe aCa?

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #179806
05/26/09 08:32 PM
05/26/09 08:32 PM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline
old hand

Alachua, FL
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
All right Jack,
Your an butt.
How's that. I aim to please.
Tawd

Thanks Pal!

Jack Woehrle
Hobie Wave #100, Tiger Shark III
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: Mugrace72] #179807
05/26/09 08:35 PM
05/26/09 08:35 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
I even added a little happy face for ya.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #179836
05/27/09 06:36 AM
05/27/09 06:36 AM
Columbia South Carolina, USA
dave mosley Offline
veteran
dave mosley  Offline
veteran

Columbia South Carolina, USA
why do I always get thrown under the bus? I miss 1 year of sailing and this is the crap I get.
Im taking it out on yous guys this weekend, watch out!

The men were amazed, and said, "What kind of a man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?" Matthew 8:27

Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: dave mosley] #179842
05/27/09 07:59 AM
05/27/09 07:59 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
It's because you went A cat Dave! We all know they don't want anyone else at their regattas!

Hey, I'm joking here, I totally get it and even support the idea of A cat only regattas. It's their game, if they only want A cats, no biggie. I know some guys get their knickers in a wad over it but I don't mind and I don't feel -left out- because if I really wanted in, I'd buy an A cat. I support these guys all getting together to talk about...A cats. I get it. It's a development type class and they want to see what's new, who's done what, how does that work, etc.

AND, having stumbled upon an A cat only regatta here and there, they have always been very welcoming to me and taken time to show me all the neet new stuff they are doing. I think it's great really.

And I understand Hobie Cat wanting to run Hobie Only regattas, again, that does not piss me off at all.

I get it.

Join the HCA and buy a Hobie and you too can play. I wish people would not get so "Offended" by such regattas. If you want your own regatta, like Ding has been saying, Put up or shut up.

The A cat guys have done plenty of -Put up- and I applaude them for it.

I may get an A cat someday, please don't hate me for it...

In the mean time, I'm happy to go to -ANY- regatta, no matter who is puting it on. If I were to have an F16 only regatta here in my back yard, would you hate me for that?

What if I don't have room in my backyard but for about 10 boats? But, not wanting to be a Dick, I open it up to everything, and 30 boats show up, and 20 of them are pissed they've got no room to set up?? So am I a snob for not allowing all the other boats?

Blade F16
Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: dave mosley] #179843
05/27/09 08:03 AM
05/27/09 08:03 AM
SC
zander Offline
enthusiast
zander  Offline
enthusiast

SC
I don't know Dave. I heard somebody down the street from the club was thinking about watering their lawn. I hope the sprinkler doesn't keep you away.

Sorry. Just bustn' yur chops.

Last edited by zander; 05/27/09 08:04 AM.

Always borrow money from a pessimist. He won't expect it back.
Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: Timbo] #179844
05/27/09 08:09 AM
05/27/09 08:09 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

If I were to have an F16 only regatta here in my back yard, would you hate me for that?

Hate ? No. But it would go against the basic line of thinking that is at the core of F16 sailing.

Of course an exception is made for a national or world championship.

Other then that we are open class boats and aim to increase enjoyment by following the addagio "more on the line is better".

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: Wouter] #179849
05/27/09 08:26 AM
05/27/09 08:26 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
"we are --open class boats-- and aim to increase enjoyment by following the addagio "more on the line is better".

WTF?

Speak for yourself Wout. I'll start with the Open Class when there are not enough F16's to make a fleet, 10 being my personal cut off.

And I like to start with the F18's or A cats if there are only a few of each of us, as we are pretty close to them usually, but if they are having their own "thing" going on, I won't be upset if they only want F18's or only A cats on their start line. No big whoop.

More is better of course, but I prefer enough of each (10 or more) to have our own starts. I'm sure they feel the same way.

Last edited by Timbo; 05/27/09 08:29 AM.

Blade F16
Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: dave mosley] #179856
05/27/09 08:48 AM
05/27/09 08:48 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by dave mosley
why do I always get thrown under the bus?

Because it makes us laugh... duh dude.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: David Ingram] #179861
05/27/09 08:58 AM
05/27/09 08:58 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

So what's your recommendation for Kelly Park starts?

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: Timbo] #179867
05/27/09 09:43 AM
05/27/09 09:43 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Speak for yourself Wout.

I actually speak for the basic premise on which the F16 class was formed. It is the same one that sees 2-up and 1-up F16 crews competiting directly with eachother without a "cut-off" as you put it.

Of course, the RC of a given regatta can decide to do what ever they want (kiddies course anyone ?) but the F16 class will never alter the premise on which it was founded. And that is "inclusiveness", not "divisiveness".

I'm not saying anything about "being upset" when the other classes feel that they need to protect their 10 boat start from the F16's. Some rather be a big fish in a small pond.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: Wouter] #179872
05/27/09 10:27 AM
05/27/09 10:27 AM
Santa Cruz, CA
SurfCityRacing Offline
old hand
SurfCityRacing  Offline
old hand

Santa Cruz, CA
Does anyone think that the thousand or so N00bs reading this or any other thread on Rick and Mary's site where we're whining about rules or complaining about other classes or seemingly complicating the whole cat racing scene is going to attract new sailors? I don't.

I actually had a guy from my yacht club who used to race cats in the 80's comment about how much drama he sees online within the cat sailing community (mostly on SA). To quote him, "You guys seem like a bunch of whiny little bi***** nowadays."And, "It doesn't seem fun anymore." Maybe we should stop the drama if we want to attract more sailors?

J

Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: SurfCityRacing] #179878
05/27/09 11:19 AM
05/27/09 11:19 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Not much whinning at GYC. http://www.gulfportyachtclub.com/

Our only problem is attracting a H16 fleet. That and we only have two or three slips left.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: Wouter] #179882
05/27/09 11:40 AM
05/27/09 11:40 AM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
In a thread titled unwelcome... It's interesting to look back at how the US classes got their start and how the sailors looked at being "welcomed" at a regatta (or not) in the begining.

(IMO Welcome is not personal... it's more about do you and your boat fit in to the racing scene)

So, when you are the new boat on the block... and want to come play... How do you get your start?

Historically, 4 current classes got their start in the USA about the same time. F18 (Tigers) F18HTs, F16s and the Nacra 17.

I think it is interesting to see how the class game plans played out with respect to open class racing and their one design programs.

The sailors formed the NAF18 organization and tried to finesse the measurement rules before getting completely aligned with the international class. Fundamentally, they figured the international appeal of the class coupled with US Hobie and Nacra dealer support would make them a sure winner and the clear dominant class. They held to the traditional approach of "start to race small one design fleets" and grow the numbers through one design racing. In fact, Hobie decided to really enforce this and Hobie Alter jr declared in a letter to the hobie classes... the Hobie racing classes would be the H16 and the Tiger in the future. They put in place their Hobie only policy for regattas they ran a year later. This divided the F18 class into Tigers and everyone else (who were obviously unwelcome). Since the idea was to quickly build a one design fleet... in a sense... if they got their one design group of three or four boats they were self contained and as true believers... they were sure to quickly grow to 10 or more boats. But, in many areas, they were pushed back into open class to race because of low critical mass. When they could not get OD race.. they were welcomed back into the open fleet.

The original class members in both the very new F16 class and the new to the USA F18HT class looked at the USA scene and saw the same problem. No critical mass of racers in most areas of the country. They also thought they were competing for slightly different niches of the US market then the F18 class. They took two different approaches.

The 18HT class thought that critical mass of racing sailors for one design racing on any spinnaker boat would be be very difficult to achieve in any geographical region. (The Nacra 20 fleet had not been able to make it happen after several years) Since they rated about the same as the Nacra 20's, the solution was to race in open class against the other small spinaker fleets and they would also organize an East coast racing schedule of one design HT events using separate existing events. They pioneered the fleet trailer idea (now used by Hobie Div 11 and the West Coast A class Sailors) They figured that the Worell and Little America's Cup initiatives would give the class lots of exposure. So, they welcomed racing in the open class fleet and then tried to add separate new events (EG, St Petersburg and Sail Newport regattas) for one design racing.

The F16 class saw the same problem of no critical mass and since they had no local builders or well funded international dealers. They adopted the grow slowly but surely through open class racing. They trusted that one up and two up sailing, even up would pay off in the long run (just like the Dart 18 class in Britan) and since they rated about the same as the F18... they saw the future as racing in open class and against the F18's even up (or handicap.. whatever). The had no pretense about getting a quick start to one design racing which would immediately divide them into one up and two up groups and were happy to be welcomed into the open class fleet.

The Nacra 17 class grew in Michigan and replaced the 5.5 uni OD fleet and drew from the N20 and F18 sailors in the region and they followed the CRAM model of one design fleet racing but also scoring against the rest of the open class fleet in the CRAM regattas. In most areas of the country, the F17 class is welcomed in open class.

The clear looser was the F18HT class. They could not maintain the energy or organization to compete locally in handcap buoy racing, the East Coast One design Fleet Trailer program and compete in the major distance races and the class cratered.

The F18 class did not take off and become the dominant two person high performance racing class in the USA as it clearly is in the EU. The Nacra 20 and the Hobie 20 maintain regional racing programs and in their core areas eclipse the F18 class. In several areas, the F18's are forced to compete in Open classes or very small one design fleets. They are strong in Canada and the West coast. Its fair to say that the international success of the F18 is very slowly working it's way through the US... eg New England seems to have flipped to the F18 in the last year or so.

The F16 class has more or less stayed with the run what you brung (one or two up)in open class and the more boats on the line the better philosophy. At the class's most successful event (re turnout) to date this year at Gulfport. They started and raced one up and two up in a fleet with F18's (although they did not report the scoring that way.)

Being welcomed at a regatta means that you and your flavor of boat fits in and you are racing against the crowd....

When you hear... Well... even though you started with me on your Prindle 18... I am only racing the other Hobie 18's...
You get the idea... you are just not welcome.
ditto when you hear... Well... the F18's started with us... but I assure you... the Nacra 20's were not racing against the F18's.

If you hear this conversation around the beer keg... somebody is sure to feel not welcome... (even if you keep their beer cold and topped off!)

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: SurfCityRacing] #179883
05/27/09 11:42 AM
05/27/09 11:42 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
You know that's a real easy excuse but I think it's bull. Last time he sailed was the eighties and doesn't sail now 30 years later because we are bunch of whiney b!tches on the internet come on man, that's not why he's staying home. As with any competive sport this is the baggage that comes with it. Anytime a group of people are passionate about something there's going to be heated exchanges of opposing ideas and complaining, it just is what it is.

Sailing is a GIGANTIC pain in the a$$ and if we didn't love it there are million things we could be doing and yes riding a couch is probably on the list. Some of us caught it bad but most don't because it's just not worth the hassle.

The eight hundred pound elephant in the room is, there are sailors focused on the competition and sailors where the competition is not all that important and these two groups of sailors have very different goals and trying to satisfy both groups can leave both unsatisfied.

You can see the evidence of this divergence with the A cat fleet and I'll be honest I don't hate what they are doing. So, is this were are heading to satisfy both sets of sailors?

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: David Ingram] #179884
05/27/09 11:56 AM
05/27/09 11:56 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
This weekend, we have a couple of sailors that don't care to buoy race, but want to come out, sail, and hang out. Should we do the monohull thing and offer a cruising course? (yes).

Jake Kohl
Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: Jake] #179887
05/27/09 12:10 PM
05/27/09 12:10 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
It's an idea worth floating. I'm sure Mr. Scott will weigh in he does seem to be dialed into the other focus. He and his peeps are the A cat fleet at the other end of the spectrum.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: David Ingram] #179890
05/27/09 12:20 PM
05/27/09 12:20 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
SurfCityRacing Offline
old hand
SurfCityRacing  Offline
old hand

Santa Cruz, CA
Originally Posted by David Ingram
You know that's a real easy excuse but I think it's bull. Last time he sailed was the eighties and doesn't sail now 30 years later because we are bunch of whiney b!tches on the internet come on man, that's not why he's staying home.

You're right, that's not why he doesn't race cats any more, but it DOES influence his willingness to make it easy on us when we ask if we can use the club's resources and have a start at his events.

They were his words and therefore his perception not mine.

J

Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: David Ingram] #179892
05/27/09 12:24 PM
05/27/09 12:24 PM
Graham, NC
WindyHillF20 Offline
addict
WindyHillF20  Offline
addict

Graham, NC
Thats definately a lame excuse! The chatter on the web is what keeps me interested. I learn from reading others experiences.

I love sailing my boat, I don't really love racing my boat. I typically am the only boat on the water where I sail and miss the crew that used to exist and sail with me. Racing is the only place I get to sail with others. So, to enjoy the company of other sailors a racing I must go. I realize that a certain understanding of the rules is necessary to race but I have no intention of learning every little thing, much less yelling it out on a race course. I also understand that lack of participation means no B or C fleets to compete with. I make every effort to avoid conflict on the water, giving right of way whether it is justified or not.
My answer to this question is: forget about the serious racers and make the event fun for everyone. Mix it up! Sitting and waiting for the next start is boring, what could we be doing between? Maybe hull flying distance comps, trapeze 360s, flip and right speed trails, drop apples in the water that must be picked up by the crew with their teeth. I convinced my wife to go racing based on my experiences in the early '80s, she was very disappointed. Now not only is she not interested but she resists me participating as well.
I will be cat sailing for as long as possible, racing is just not a part of the attraction and is not neccessary. Racing must be fun or recreational sailors will not spend their money and time on it, too many other options.

Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: WindyHillF20] #179894
05/27/09 12:51 PM
05/27/09 12:51 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by WindyHillF20
My answer to this question is: forget about the serious racers and make the event fun for everyone. Mix it up! Sitting and waiting for the next start is boring, what could we be doing between? Maybe hull flying distance comps, trapeze 360s, flip and right speed trails, drop apples in the water that must be picked up by the crew with their teeth.

Windy drives the point home about how different these two groups are, and trying to satisfy both at the same time may not be a solution that is workable. Different events for the different groups on different weekends. We host two significant regattas with our local club, Hargar the Horrible and the Kelly Park River Regatta. Both regattas are very fun but fun for very different reasons. Hagar the Horrible is an event like Windy describes and KPRR is a full on race regatta. Very different vibe and mindset between the two events.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 517 guests, and 100 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022