11/11/10 04:50 PM
11/11/10 04:50 PM

S
Scarecrow
Unregistered
Scarecrow
Unregistered
S

Currently making choices for my new toy and would be interested in some guidance from everyone on where to shop. My default due to the sails he has made me in the past would be Glenn but I wonder what everyone's thoughts are.

Last time I spoke to Glenn (about a month ago) he suggested he would be bringing a new main design to the coaching weekend so I'd like to hear feedback on that after the weekend. Also has Brewin ever made Mossie sails?

Who made your working sails?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 11/11/10 04:41 PM
Who made your kite?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 11/11/10 04:42 PM
Who would you buy your next working sails off?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 11/11/10 04:44 PM
Who would you buy your next kite off?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 11/11/10 04:45 PM
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Sails. What would you buy? [Re: ] #223948
11/12/10 06:21 AM
11/12/10 06:21 AM
Gippsland Lakes
mitchellsailor Offline
journeyman
mitchellsailor  Offline
journeyman

Gippsland Lakes
note that Clifton has made ALOT of South Australian sails but obviously you will find out more tommorrow.

Mosquito 1750 Bonnie-GLYC / Peninsula

The plan was simple.... Like my brother in law Phil, except this plan just might work!
Re: Sails. What would you buy? [Re: ] #224000
11/12/10 05:31 PM
11/12/10 05:31 PM

T
thricebitten
Unregistered
thricebitten
Unregistered
T

Don't know of Brewin having made any Mossie sails. He has made some very nice Bighead Taipan/F16 sails though.

I think the major thing when looking for a Mossie sail is to look to somebody who has either already made competitive sails for the class or somebody with experience in similar style of sails, that is flexible mast cat sails. Which are fairly rare these days, only other class that pops to mind with any real quantity of sails would be Paper Tiger sail makers.

Re: Sails. What would you buy? [Re: ] #224002
11/12/10 05:39 PM
11/12/10 05:39 PM

T
thricebitten
Unregistered
thricebitten
Unregistered
T

OK I will ask the dumb question, how do you vote on the poll?

Re: Sails. What would you buy? [Re: ] #224032
11/13/10 05:02 AM
11/13/10 05:02 AM

S
Scarecrow
Unregistered
Scarecrow
Unregistered
S

I'm sure you'll work it out. I went down at lunch time and had a look at everyones boats and a chat with Glenn. He didn't get the prototype sail made having been very busy and commuting a lot. Hasn't even made his own sails for this summer yet. Loft will stay open while he's with ETNZ with Glenn designing but doing less hands on work. Apparently there is some design work in the am cup role but at this point his job description seems to be wing trim.

Re: Sails. What would you buy? [Re: ] #224243
11/15/10 09:09 PM
11/15/10 09:09 PM
Lake Bonney, SA
dkd Offline
enthusiast
dkd  Offline
enthusiast

Lake Bonney, SA
guess my choice would be someone I can talk to about my personal thoughts as to what I want a sail to do...not what it does for anyone else but what I want.
Hence I shop close to home.....my son, and his are getting better and better

David
Salpicon de Resplandor, 1744

Re: Sails. What would you buy? [Re: dkd] #224251
11/15/10 11:32 PM
11/15/10 11:32 PM

S
Scarecrow
Unregistered
Scarecrow
Unregistered
S

Originally Posted by dkd
guess my choice would be someone I can talk to about my personal thoughts as to what I want a sail to do...not what it does for anyone else but what I want.
Hence I shop close to home.....my son, and his are getting better and better

I couldn't agree more but I don't have a family member to buy sails off. Ashby and Irwin make their sails within 5km of each other so are equally convienient. My next question to the forum is how much input you had into your sails. Was it a case of this is what I'm currently building it costs this much or was their more dialogue about what you were after? From the poles it is pretty clear most people would use the same sail maker again if they needed another sail. This is either through satisfaction (hopefully) or blind loyalty.

Re: Sails. What would you buy? [Re: ] #224252
11/15/10 11:33 PM
11/15/10 11:33 PM

S
Scarecrow
Unregistered
Scarecrow
Unregistered
S

Who else is making kites?

Re: Sails. What would you buy? [Re: ] #224254
11/16/10 12:14 AM
11/16/10 12:14 AM
Port Noarlunga, SA, Australia
D
Darryn Offline
addict
Darryn  Offline
addict
D

I always have input, the three corners have to be the done the way I like them, so I can change sails quickly using the same hardware, right thickness bolt rope (including the stitching ). I like to see the sail when the panels are cut out ( I use cross cut sails ) before they are glued/sewn and I want to be there when the luff curve is cut to ensure my changes have been incorporated. When I pick it up I check the plastic batten holders along the luff are not to close to the bolt rope and stainless screws were used to screw them together. I also check the three corners against a copy of the plan I gave the sailmaker.

Alot of sailmakers prefer customers who ring up, order and hand over there visa number. Finding one who is motivated to help you make your boat go faster is the key I think.

We have two new Irwin sails on local boats and I have noticed a significant improvement in their performance, I would definitely consider an Irwin Mozzie sail if I needed a new one.

Darryn
Bullet

Re: Sails. What would you buy? [Re: Darryn] #224256
11/16/10 02:27 AM
11/16/10 02:27 AM
Barmera SA
Steve_T Offline
Steve_T  Offline

Barmera SA
I tend to agree with Darryn here. My preference is to get a sail locally from Peter. But I know damn well that if I do that, then I am probably up for another one in order to fine tune the first, which I guess is no real big deal. Once done, however, then at least I would know that future sails should be easy to replicate.

There is a distinct advantage of buying a sail from a proven and popular sailmaker with a turnover of class sails. Even if it is not truly customised, at least you know that it is going to be around the ball-park.

Without publicly naming names, I bought a sail from a Victorian sailmaker a few years ago. Unfortunately, from when I got it, I could not get the top third of the tell-tails to flow going upwind. They were all over the place. The sailmaker didn't want to know about it. I have since asked Peter to straighten the luff curve and finally it is doing almost what it should.

You are lucky to live so close to all facilities!

Cheers

Just Do It
Re: Sails. What would you buy? [Re: ] #224282
11/16/10 01:44 PM
11/16/10 01:44 PM
Melbourne, Australia
MitchB Offline
MitchB  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
This is not mozzy specific - I have/am going through the process of getting my stingray sail to work for me (it is more about me than the sail)

Greg Goodall radically re-designed the sail which at the time did not meet class rules (but now does wink ) When doing so he spent a lot of time on the phone with me talking through the design... at that stage most of it meant little to me!

I sailed happily with it for a year - Then as I learned more (and other people started looking into/buying the new style) we have changed a few things - Probably by the time I get my next new mainsail it will be perfect (or at least I will think it is)

I guess what I am saying is that the sail makers making sails that work now will give you a good sail! I didn't have that luxury + I had asked for big changes anyway! Like the mozzy the stingray rig is a little unique as well! It has been/will be a good experience and I have thoroughly enjoyed learning about sails and rigs etc... but maybe It would have been easier to have a sail that worked out of the bag!

Mitch

Stingray #579
GLYCish
Re: Sails. What would you buy? [Re: MitchB] #224343
11/18/10 06:19 AM
11/18/10 06:19 AM
To windward of you!
Sixth Element Offline
journeyman
Sixth Element  Offline
journeyman

To windward of you!
I at alegayter sails am making spinnakers for the mossies. i have done the whole SA fleet here all be it only 3, but have tried different things with all 3 and have found one that is working well.

As far as mains go, I have done alot of development over the past 5 years and i now have a sail that is quite competetive. Dad also has had 2 mains from me and both he has had alot of input into the final design/cut. I am happy to work with the customer and incorperate the ideas that the customer has and come to a design that we are both happy with.

i think that buying a sail from a sailmaker who actually sails the class no matter what class is a great advantage.

"Sixth Element"
1782 MK2 w/spinnaker.
Lake Bonney Y.C.
National Sec. / S.A President / S.A Measurer / Commodore LBYC
Re: Sails. What would you buy? [Re: Sixth Element] #228078
02/03/11 12:54 AM
02/03/11 12:54 AM
D
Darryn Offline
addict
Darryn  Offline
addict
D

I decided to buy an Irwin after watching them going past at the nats. Finally arrived today, managed to get it on the mast after making a few changes (grind the slug down to size and downhaul travel length). Test sailing it tomorrow, get it measured on Saturday morning and use it in the SA states Saturday afternoon. Forecast is around 20knots so its going to be great Mozzy conditions.

Darryn
Bullet

Attached Files
Irwin Mozzy 1782100.jpg (548 downloads)
Re: Sails. What would you buy? [Re: Darryn] #228109
02/03/11 04:40 PM
02/03/11 04:40 PM
East Gippsland, Australia
Tim_Mozzie Offline
old hand
Tim_Mozzie  Offline
old hand

East Gippsland, Australia
Damn! I wanted a red one cry

Tim Shepperd
Mosquito 1775
Karma Cat
Re: Sails. What would you buy? [Re: Tim_Mozzie] #228112
02/03/11 04:45 PM
02/03/11 04:45 PM

S
Scarecrow
Unregistered
Scarecrow
Unregistered
S

you could always ask Irwin to use red cloth (think hobie wildcat).

Re: Sails. What would you buy? [Re: ] #228118
02/03/11 06:18 PM
02/03/11 06:18 PM
Thorneside | QLD | AUS
furr_ball Offline
furr_ball  Offline

Thorneside | QLD | AUS

Awesome looking sail, do like the red trim.

My new Irwin main is on its way to Qld as we speak.

Hoping it arrives today and I can use it tomorrow.

I am experiencing some sail envy at present......

Drew........Furr_ball........Mosquito 1635
Re: Sails. What would you buy? [Re: furr_ball] #228132
02/03/11 08:00 PM
02/03/11 08:00 PM
D
Darryn Offline
addict
Darryn  Offline
addict
D

It does look good. Impressed with the shape of the sail, Ive taken some pics and measured the max draft which is in the right spot, looks like it will perform.

Make sure you check the packaging before you sign for it and unwrap it, Toll Ipec were not kind to my sail and managed to punch some small holes (which I fixed)in it even though it was very well protected by corrugated cardboard. First time its happened to me after freighting many sails all over the place.

Darryn

Re: Sails. What would you buy? [Re: Darryn] #228143
02/04/11 12:54 AM
02/04/11 12:54 AM
Thorneside | QLD | AUS
furr_ball Offline
furr_ball  Offline

Thorneside | QLD | AUS

Have just checked with Toll and to quote 'the trailer is delayed into Brisbane....' so no new sail for Sat.

Thanks for the tip Darryn, will check very thoroughly when it arrives.

Drew........Furr_ball........Mosquito 1635
Re: Sails. What would you buy? [Re: Darryn] #228147
02/04/11 04:05 AM
02/04/11 04:05 AM

T
thricebitten
Unregistered
thricebitten
Unregistered
T

Originally Posted by Darryn
I decided to buy an Irwin after watching them going past at the nats. Finally arrived today, managed to get it on the mast after making a few changes (grind the slug down to size and downhaul travel length). Test sailing it tomorrow, get it measured on Saturday morning and use it in the SA states Saturday afternoon. Forecast is around 20knots so its going to be great Mozzy conditions.

Darryn
Bullet

Glad you didn't buy it before the Nats wink. Hey this is not fair you guy's are reducing my advantages. cry

But seriously, good move Darryn. I would be interested to hear if you think you can point higher and keep the speed. That's what I found when I first started using them, I could point higher than before with good speed cool .

Also if your first race is 20kts, three words of advice, downhaul, downhaul, downhaul grin . Oh and keep the foot pretty flat along the boom, as it effects the depth up the sail alot more than some sails.

Enjoy smile

Re: Sails. What would you buy? [Re: ] #228149
02/04/11 04:43 AM
02/04/11 04:43 AM
D
Darryn Offline
addict
Darryn  Offline
addict
D

I sailed it today, couldn't believe how high it would point, its kind of ridiculous, in the end I was writing down the tactik numbers on the sidedeck instead of doing the maths in my head, just to check myself. I am getting the same sort of numbers they get on the V5 Americas cup boats. Had up to 15 knots, glad I had already increased my downhaul travel as I would have ran out today. Messed around with outhaul and particularly rotation, found it made a huge difference compared to my other sails. Looking forward to testing my new settings against the other Mozzys tomorrow. Forecast is up to 23knots now, hope the club holds its nerve and doesn't cancel.

Darryn
Bullet

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 435 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022