01/31/11 04:34 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by NCSUtrey
Todd, weren't you the originator of the group? If I understand the google group thing correctly, only the person that started it can add people in. I may be wrong though.

Lee- what do you mean by 're-cut custom ones?'

Yes, I was i.e. the email request. Tad can also "jump" people in. You can't because nobody likes you.Sorry. You do make a good DD/ voice of reason though(can't believe I said that).I'll let Lee answer the re-cut question, but I think you know the answer all ready.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Square top sails [Re: NCSUtrey] #227878
01/31/11 06:15 PM
01/31/11 06:15 PM
Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

Lee- what do you mean by 're-cut custom ones?'

Disclaimer; This is meant to sound as diplomatic and as nice as possible. It is simply a quest for more information to satisfy MANY people's curiosity regarding the subject.

The ones you ran in the Tybee. Or is that just a rumor too? I've heard the same story from a few people whom I trust a great deal. Was that main bought from a "Licensed Nacra Dealer" like is clearly stated in the Nacra 20 class rules? Or is it a little more complicated than that? Honestly, if it is a "custom" cut sail, great, we can all benefit from the evolution but if you're keeping the info to yourself about it, it looks pretty bad with you being the "Class President" and looks even more like you got into that position to serve yourself. Personaly, I hope I'm wrong because I love the boat too. But you shouldn't preach "One design" when you're not adhereing to the class rules yourself. If you bought those sails off the shelf like the rest of the class is required to do, then my appologies for all this. Hopefully we could have a discussion on this over at our Nacra 20 groups discussion board and get a few more perspectives going on it. Just a thought.

Lee

Keyboard sailors are always faster in all conditions.
Re: Square top sails [Re: TeamChums] #227881
01/31/11 06:49 PM
01/31/11 06:49 PM
Charleston, SC
NCSUtrey Offline
old hand
NCSUtrey  Offline
old hand

Charleston, SC
It's quite a shame that those who keep propogating this rumor continue to do so without asking me directly.

My sails are 100% class legal, made by E/P and purchased as Nacra class sails. I bought them in January of 2010 and used them for the first time at Tradewinds. I am still using this same set of sails. They are not developmental sails, they are stock class sails.
When was the last time you bought a new set of stock sails?

What's your issue with me?

Last edited by NCSUtrey; 01/31/11 06:49 PM.

Trey
Re: Square top sails [Re: NCSUtrey] #227884
01/31/11 07:22 PM
01/31/11 07:22 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Whoever are spreading these lies should be truly ashamed of themselves.

Trey has completely stock sails. Anyone that wishes to challenge this statement of truth has their own agenda.

Perhaps they are jealous of the success Trey has had in recent years. They think he couldn't possibly have gotten as fast as he has through anything other than cheating. I mean, all those regattas he went to the past couple years like Rolex and Texel and training with olympian tornado teams, absorbing the knowledge of people like Heemskerk, Casey and Macca couldn't possibly have helped his natural sailing ability. Or perhaps sailing with stellar crew like Alan Stewart or Bailey White or Brian Payne or Jamie Livingston could have perhaps given him some refinement of his prowess.

It angers me not only because Trey is my good close friend who spoke at my wedding and would trust with my wife on a deserted island for 10 years, but because these lies haven't been broadcast by their originators. Stand up, speak up and let it be known who the solicitors of dishonesty truly are.

Re: Square top sails [Re: ThunderMuffin] #227885
01/31/11 07:26 PM
01/31/11 07:26 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Regarding the N20 users group, anyone can request access by going to the URL:
http://groups.google.com/group/Nacra20

You have to request access, and Todd or I will grant it. Todd is correct that we can invite people as well.

Re: Square top sails [Re: ThunderMuffin] #227889
01/31/11 07:52 PM
01/31/11 07:52 PM
Charleston, SC
NCSUtrey Offline
old hand
NCSUtrey  Offline
old hand

Charleston, SC
Crap, now I've got to write Tad a check...

Trey
Re: Square top sails [Re: NCSUtrey] #227890
01/31/11 07:54 PM
01/31/11 07:54 PM
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

My sails are 100% class legal, made by E/P and purchased as Nacra class sails.

What's your issue with me?

My issue was clearly stated in my last post. No reading between the lines there.
Did you have Skip Elliot make your sails? Was it a sail that was available to ANY other purchaser of Nacra 20 sails? There, I asked you directly.
I'm not discounting the fact that you've gotten faster in the last few years either. I think thats great.
BTW, the "rumor" originated right from your lips to your friends who told others. I was asked to keep my mouth shut about it till after the Tybee.

When was the last time you bought a new set of stock sails?

We had an open class in the GT last year and I tried a new jib from an aftermarket maker as well as a new spinn the year before. The others in my class new it and I was open about it.

Lee

Re: Square top sails [Re: TeamChums] #227894
01/31/11 08:15 PM
01/31/11 08:15 PM
Charleston, SC
NCSUtrey Offline
old hand
NCSUtrey  Offline
old hand

Charleston, SC
I'll say it again. The sails I bought are 100% stock, class legal, E/P sails that would be the same available to anybody else. I don't know who made them, I'm assuming it was Skip or Ian.
Why don't you give me a call and we can sort this stuff out. This rumor needs to stop here. You have a PM with my phone number.

Trey
Re: Square top sails [Re: NCSUtrey] #227895
01/31/11 08:40 PM
01/31/11 08:40 PM
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

Well, I guess if the rest of the class can go to EP directly and have thier sails made, then there is no further discussion, right? If I call them tomorrow and order them directly from them, will they tell me it's ok? Will you be ok with it? If so, then problem solved. I'll call you when I get a chance. BTW, don't take this so much as a personal attack, it's not really. I just want to know if the rest of us can do what you did to ensure we get the sails we want without getting protested at a Nacra class event. I contacted Peter Vink in regards to sail prices since they are a licensed sailmaker too.

Lee

Re: Square top sails [Re: ThunderMuffin] #227897
01/31/11 08:49 PM
01/31/11 08:49 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Undecided
Whoever are spreading these lies should be truly ashamed of themselves.

Trey has completely stock sails. Anyone that wishes to challenge this statement of truth has their own agenda.

Perhaps they are jealous of the success Trey has had in recent years. They think he couldn't possibly have gotten as fast as he has through anything other than cheating. I mean, all those regattas he went to the past couple years like Rolex and Texel and training with olympian tornado teams, absorbing the knowledge of people like Heemskerk, Casey and Macca couldn't possibly have helped his natural sailing ability. Or perhaps sailing with stellar crew like Alan Stewart or Bailey White or Brian Payne or Jamie Livingston could have perhaps given him some refinement of his prowess.

It angers me not only because Trey is my good close friend who spoke at my wedding and would trust with my wife on a deserted island for 10 years, but because these lies haven't been broadcast by their originators. Stand up, speak up and let it be known who the solicitors of dishonesty truly are.

cry cry cry cry cry cry cry That was beautiful. I think I shed a tear. cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Square top sails [Re: ThunderMuffin] #227899
01/31/11 09:22 PM
01/31/11 09:22 PM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

Regarding the N20 users group, anyone can request access by going to the URL:
http://groups.google.com/group/Nacra20

You have to request access, and Todd or I will grant it. Todd is correct that we can invite people as well.

Joined today and already got approved.

Originally Posted by TeamChums
It's a gang and you have to be "jumped in". I'll see if I can still find a link for you.

Jumped In!!!!

What I got no cred with this group. So spending a few days at the county hospital going through a half gallon of rum and a couple cartons of cigarettes with a few Hells Angels doesn't count - huh!

Re: Square top sails [Re: TeamChums] #227900
01/31/11 09:27 PM
01/31/11 09:27 PM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

Originally Posted by TeamChums
Well, I guess if the rest of the class can go to EP directly and have thier sails made, then there is no further discussion, right? If I call them tomorrow and order them directly from them, will they tell me it's ok? Will you be ok with it? If so, then problem solved. I'll call you when I get a chance. BTW, don't take this so much as a personal attack, it's not really. I just want to know if the rest of us can do what you did to ensure we get the sails we want without getting protested at a Nacra class event. I contacted Peter Vink in regards to sail prices since they are a licensed sailmaker too.

I did that the other day for a jib and they wont sell the class legal sails direct. Told me to call Jack which I did, he told me to call a dealer or Murray's Marine.

Sounded like I caught him on a bad day!

Last edited by Ventucky Red; 01/31/11 09:28 PM.
Re: Square top sails [Re: Ventucky Red] #227901
01/31/11 09:39 PM
01/31/11 09:39 PM
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

Ok, I guess I need to word my question more clearly. Trey, did you order and purchase your sails from a Nacra dealer or directly from E/P? Which Nacra dealer? Were they re-cut? If so, by who?

Last edited by TeamChums; 01/31/11 10:25 PM.

Lee

Re: Square top sails [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #227902
01/31/11 09:43 PM
01/31/11 09:43 PM
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

That was beautiful. I think I shed a tear.

Stop picking on Tad or I'll kick ur a$$. Tad, you can trust me with your money and your life but not your rum or your wife.

Lee

Re: Square top sails [Re: TeamChums] #227904
02/01/11 12:21 AM
02/01/11 12:21 AM
Solomon's Island, MD
S
samc99us Offline
old hand
samc99us  Offline
old hand
S

Solomon's Island, MD
Where Trey bought his sails from, frankly, is his own damn business. Even if Trey purchased directly from E/P, I highly, highly doubt they would make a custom set without forking over some R&D money, and what exactly would be the point? Trey races, and has won, every major N20 regatta in the U.S, risking that reputation on some custom sails is frankly stupid.

In addition, I have personally handled every sail in Trey's inventory prior to the start of the Tybee. I have measured my sails against his sails. They were damn close given that mine were stretched out 3 year old sails, essentially rags by comparison to the brand new ones Trey was using.

These boats are complicated, over powered, fast SOB's. They take hard work, years of practice to become proficient at sailing, and compared with most of you I know damn little about sailing them fast. I do know that the vast majority of the class is a trustworthy bunch of individuals that would make no attempt to hide a custom batch of sails, mostly because the rest of us are curious to know if they really are any faster.

Scorpion F18
Re: Square top sails [Re: samc99us] #227905
02/01/11 12:31 AM
02/01/11 12:31 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by samc99us
Where Trey bought his sails from, frankly, is his own damn business.

Class rules and Trey say different. You have to buy your sails through a dealer.
Personally I'm all for getting your sails from where ever you want as long as they measure in.
Didn't you sell your boat?

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: Square top sails [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #227906
02/01/11 01:42 AM
02/01/11 01:42 AM
Atlanta, Ga
BLR_0719 Offline
enthusiast
BLR_0719  Offline
enthusiast

Atlanta, Ga
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever

cry cry cry cry cry cry cry That was beautiful. I think I shed a tear. cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

This made me laugh

Re: Square top sails [Re: BLR_0719] #227908
02/01/11 02:11 AM
Atlanta, Ga
BLR_0719 Offline
enthusiast
BLR_0719  Offline
enthusiast

Atlanta, Ga
So, now I know why Trey is so fast. Here I was all along thinking he was special or something.

Re: Square top sails [Re: BLR_0719] #227909
Atlanta, Ga
BLR_0719 Offline
enthusiast
BLR_0719  Offline
enthusiast

Atlanta, Ga
Or perhaps sailing with stellar crew like Alan Stewart or Bailey White or Brian Payne or Jamie Livingston could have perhaps given him some refinement of his prowess.

You forgot to include yourself in that crew list

Re: Square top sails [Re: BLR_0719] #227910
02/01/11 02:41 AM
02/01/11 02:41 AM
Atlanta, Ga
BLR_0719 Offline
enthusiast
BLR_0719  Offline
enthusiast

Atlanta, Ga
Bottom line is Trey is not a cheater. The conspiracy theorists need to find solace in the reality that his sails are legal and have no competitive edge.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 429 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022