02/01/11 10:09 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by BLR_0719
Bottom line is Trey is not a cheater. The conspiracy theorists need to find solace in the reality that his sails are legal and have no competitive edge.

I believe that. BUT, it is a bit suspect for someone to show up with new sails cut from cloth that had been unavailable to anyone else for 2 years. Trey told me that he tracked down the last purchaser of the smoke pentex and got Skip to buy it and make a sail for him. I think the issue is, could anyone have done this or did you need to be a "class rep"? The fact that basically the only thing he has done as "class rep" is to try to push the sail development (big props to him for this) and the info has not been coming to the class members leaves a few folks seeing the position as self serving. There really has been no updates on anything(state of the class,progress , ...) he's told me this stuff personally so I don't really have a problem with any of that, we just see different paths for the class. Personally., I see him as the scapegoat/fallguy for some one above him. If I had a problem with his sails , they would have been ,or will be protested. Simple as that.

Now, if we want to talk about Bailey....

Todd Hart

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Square top sails [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #227922
02/01/11 10:20 AM
02/01/11 10:20 AM
Eastern NC, USA
T
tshan Offline
old hand
tshan  Offline
old hand
T

Eastern NC, USA
Holy cat capers batman!!! I wanted to learn about square top sails and I hit a real life soap opera.

BTW, square top sails are a FAD.

Tom
Re: Square top sails [Re: tshan] #227924
02/01/11 10:34 AM
02/01/11 10:34 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by tshan
Holy cat capers batman!!! I wanted to learn about square top sails and I hit a real life soap opera.

BTW, square top sails are a FAD.

They are just reruns.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Square top sails [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #227926
02/01/11 10:37 AM
02/01/11 10:37 AM
Maryland
Kris Hathaway Offline
addict
Kris Hathaway  Offline
addict

Maryland
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Trey told me that he tracked down the last purchaser of the smoke pentex and got Skip to buy it and make a sail for him.
Sounds like Trey. He could sell ice to an Eskimo!!!

Kris Hathaway
Re: Square top sails [Re: BLR_0719] #227928
02/01/11 10:46 AM
02/01/11 10:46 AM
42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Todd_Sails Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Todd_Sails  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Ya'll are starting to make me want to get an I20 now..........

F-18 Infusion
#626- SOLD it!

'Long Live the Legend of Chris Kyle'
Re: Square top sails [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #227931
02/01/11 10:57 AM
02/01/11 10:57 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
So - those who are claiming that Trey received some preferential treatment - Please tell me where Trey violated the following class rule:

http://www.nacraclass.com/interrules.htm

6. SAILS AND BATTENS
6.1 CONSTRUCTION. The material, method of construction and design of
the sails shall be in accordance with the sail plan. The sails for the
NACRA 20 shall be built for NACRA from patterns and sail cloth
approved by NACRA. Sails shall be fabricated by builders licensed by P.S. I., Inc., for NACRA.
Battens may be of wood, carbon, foam fiberglass or
fiberglass. A set may consist of a combination of these types. All batten
pockets must contain battens while racing, the only exception being a torn
sail which loses a batten or battens during a race from a damaged batten
pocket. (Only one batten per pocket is permitted.)

I'm at work - and I'll admit that I didn't do a thorough examination of the rules where it says "you must buy from a dealer." In fact, I did a search for "dealer" on that page and it doesn't appear in the whole body of the document.

Now, going directly to the "[sail]builders licensed by P.S.I." around the dealer certainly doesn't help the local dealer. However, if its not in the rules, then what is the grievance?

The material, method of construction and design of the sails were built in accordance with the sail plan by a licensed sail builder of P.S.I.

Re: Square top sails [Re: BLR_0719] #227932
02/01/11 10:58 AM
02/01/11 10:58 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Originally Posted by BLR_0719
Originally Posted by Undecided
Or perhaps sailing with stellar crew like Alan Stewart or Bailey White or Brian Payne or Jamie Livingston could have perhaps given him some refinement of his prowess.

You forgot to include yourself in that crew list

Thanks but the best thing that Trey did for his sailing ability is get rid of my dead weight.

Re: Square top sails [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #227933
02/01/11 11:07 AM
02/01/11 11:07 AM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

Trey told me that he tracked down the last purchaser of the smoke pentex and got Skip to buy it and make a sail for him.

So did luck out with this boat and get a smoke Pentex sail?

[Linked Image]

Re: Square top sails [Re: TeamChums] #227935
02/01/11 11:18 AM
02/01/11 11:18 AM
On the Water
P.M. Offline
Pooh-Bah
P.M.  Offline
Pooh-Bah

On the Water
Originally Posted by TeamChums
Trey, did you order and purchase your sails from a Nacra dealer or directly from E/P? Which Nacra dealer? Were they re-cut? If so, by who?

Well?? Trey?

Philip
USA #1006
Re: Square top sails [Re: P.M.] #227937
02/01/11 11:22 AM
02/01/11 11:22 AM
On the Water
P.M. Offline
Pooh-Bah
P.M.  Offline
Pooh-Bah

On the Water
Good read here.

Philip
USA #1006
Re: Square top sails [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #227939
02/01/11 11:28 AM
02/01/11 11:28 AM
On the Water
P.M. Offline
Pooh-Bah
P.M.  Offline
Pooh-Bah

On the Water

I believe that. BUT, it is a bit suspect for someone to show up with new sails cut from cloth that had been unavailable to anyone else for 2 years. Trey told me that he tracked down the last purchaser of the smoke pentex and got Skip to buy it and make a sail for him. I think the issue is, could anyone have done this or did you need to be a "class rep"? The fact that basically the only thing he has done as "class rep" is to try to push the sail development (big props to him for this) and the info has not been coming to the class members leaves a few folks seeing the position as self serving. There really has been no updates on anything(state of the class,progress , ...)

. . . and it's just that simple, or maybe not. Makes me wonder how many sails including jibs and spins were privileged to Trey and the Velocity Sailing Team, and through what channels. Notice the main on Don's boat (sail #8008) also has the mixed colored cloth similar to Trey's. Link here. Were these sails purchased through a dealer?

Early posts indicate that new cut spins are in Trey's possession since fall. The class really has been in the dark about it. Who's testing, what regattas, how did they perform? Why haven't they been available to others to use? Two weeks ago I purchased a class spin. Last night I get the N20 group posting about the new flatter cut spin is to release end of this month, making my spin outdated before I get to sail it at the next regatta (Performance Midwinters). Phucking great! . . .and you wonder why folks are going open.

BTW, I love the N20 too. I bought it to race SMOD.

Philip
USA #1006
Re: Square top sails [Re: ThunderMuffin] #227941
02/01/11 11:33 AM
02/01/11 11:33 AM
On the Water
P.M. Offline
Pooh-Bah
P.M.  Offline
Pooh-Bah

On the Water

Now, going directly to the "[sail]builders licensed by P.S.I." around the dealer certainly doesn't help the local dealer. However, if its not in the rules, then what is the grievance?

Tad, your kidding? Class President/Director, Corinthian spirit . . .

So much for the coffee. It's not too early for a rummie, is it?

Philip
USA #1006
Re: Square top sails [Re: Ventucky Red] #227942
02/01/11 11:36 AM
02/01/11 11:36 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Ventucky: No, I got a smoke main as well.

Re: Square top sails [Re: ThunderMuffin] #227943
02/01/11 11:42 AM
02/01/11 11:42 AM
Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

I'm at work - and I'll admit that I didn't do a thorough examination of the rules where it says "you must buy from a dealer." In fact, I did a search for "dealer" on that page and it doesn't appear in the whole body of the document.

Ok, I see that now too. BUT, point is, when the rest of us (I haven't yet but will soon) try to buy direct from E/P, we get the old "call your dealer" response. Here's the caveat; You can get a sail for a N6.0 or 5.8, ect. directly from E/P as long as it's NOT a class sail (square top). They have no problem doing custom work.

I have not or will not call Trey a cheater. That's not what this is about. I think his performance would have been the same with other fresh sails. So, stop insinuating that I am. Trey wants me to call him but I have reservation about this since all this is about making whatever the truth is public, not private. I am a Nacra 20 sailor and owner. If Trey wants me to be on board with supporting the continued idea of keeping it a SMOD, then I need to know he is doing the same thing. If he's not, then why should I? If he wasn't the class rep, president, whatever you want to call it, I really could care less about what he does with his sails.

Bottom line question; Trey, what was the complete cenario regarding the purchase of the sails that you are currently sailing with, begining with placing your order {details like, were they cut specially for your weight?} and ending with recieving them?

Last edited by TeamChums; 02/01/11 11:59 AM.

Lee

Keyboard sailors are always faster in all conditions.
Re: Square top sails [Re: P.M.] #227944
02/01/11 11:44 AM
02/01/11 11:44 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Holy **** Philip you are off the ****ing deep end dude.

I bought my sails after my 2008 Tradewinds melt down through my dealer SailMax. If you'd like to verify that through Mike then go for it.

Don's sail is the same sail he bought with the boat from Jake and Frank.

Brett's sails are the same he bought with the boat from Titcomb.

If you are asserting that Velocity sailing is cheating by ordering sails directly from the manufacturer then you are way off base Philip and need to be put in your place for your reckless accusations. If we are all cheating then why the hell is everyone but Trey DFL in every Tybee?

If you'd like to discuss this further Philip, you have my phone number as you have called me many times before and had pleasant conversations.

Re: Square top sails [Re: Devon] #227945
02/01/11 11:45 AM
02/01/11 11:45 AM
uk
TEAMVMG Offline
veteran
TEAMVMG  Offline
veteran

uk
Originally Posted by Devon
I am getting a new mainsail for my I17 it currently has a very small square top, Nacra have said that bigger is better,They have mentioned pentax as a material, which will match my jib. Why just go square why not go up and out ? Like the 18ft skiffs do. Any suggestions please..

Paul

teamvmg.weebly.com
Re: Square top sails [Re: TeamChums] #227947
02/01/11 11:54 AM
02/01/11 11:54 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Originally Posted by TeamChums

Ok, I see that now too. BUT, point is, when the rest of us (I haven't yet but will soon) try to buy direct from E/P, we get the old "call your dealer" response. Here's the caveat; You can get a sail for a N6.0 or 5.8, ect. directly from E/P as long as it's NOT a class sail (square top). They have no problem doing custom work.

Lee, I see what you're trying to say here. That because Trey supposedly went direct to EP that they considered it "custom work" and therefore the sail is not "class legal".

By all means, next Tybee go ahead and protest Trey for his supposedly non-class legal sail that wouldn't measure in because its supposedly "custom work." We'll get a measurer over and clear this up toot suite.

Then we'll go ahead and have a look at all the sails in the fleet at that point - and I'm 125% positive that you wont find an illegal sail in the Velocity stable. Check our boxes too - there are no skeletons there to be found.

Re: Square top sails [Re: ThunderMuffin] #227948
02/01/11 12:05 PM
02/01/11 12:05 PM
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

Tad,
I'm afraid you're still missing the point. I have no doubt in my mind that everyone of your team's sails will measure in, including Trey's.
This isn't about cheating.

Lee

Keyboard sailors are always faster in all conditions.
Re: Square top sails [Re: ThunderMuffin] #227950
02/01/11 12:10 PM
02/01/11 12:10 PM
On the Water
P.M. Offline
Pooh-Bah
P.M.  Offline
Pooh-Bah

On the Water

I bought my sails after my 2008 Tradewinds melt down through my dealer SailMax. If you'd like to verify that through Mike then go for it.

If you are asserting that Velocity sailing is cheating by ordering sails directly from the manufacturer then you are way off base Philip and need to be put in your place for your reckless accusations. If we are all cheating then why the hell is everyone but Trey DFL in every Tybee?

If you'd like to discuss this further Philip, you have my phone number as you have called me many times before and had pleasant conversations.

Tad, you are putting words in my mouth. It's not about cheating, and I'm not accusing anyone of cheating. My response was in reply to what Todd said. It was about transparency. I should be able to buy sails per the SMOD model. There is a question brought before us about that process. It's that simple. Go sailing Tad.

No mention of your sails, Brett's and others, just Don's as the two color sails are unique. I never saw that sail when it was Jake's boat. If it was then it has been answered, and I will apologize. Jake can chime in.

Philip
USA #1006
Re: Square top sails [Re: P.M.] #227952
02/01/11 12:28 PM
02/01/11 12:28 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Originally Posted by mummp

Tad, you are putting words in my mouth. It's not about cheating, and I'm not accusing anyone of cheating. My response was in reply to what Todd said. It was about transparency. I should be able to buy sails per the SMOD model. There is a question brought before us about that process. It's that simple. Go sailing Tad.

No mention of your sails, Brett's and others, just Don's as the two color sails are unique. I never saw that sail when it was Jake's boat. If it was then it has been answered, and I will apologize. Jake can chime in.

Jake doesn't need to chime in. Is this enough proof for you?

[Linked Image]

As for the process of buying sails, Trey did NOTHING WRONG per the rules and any accusation of such is tantamount to accusing him of cheating.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 407 guests, and 70 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022