02/16/04 01:39 PM
02/16/04 01:39 PM
big island hawaii
johnmyles Offline OP
stranger
johnmyles  Offline OP
stranger

big island hawaii
i would like info on options for mounting a 135 lb 9.9 honda 4 stroke. would like it to be on track that could be raised 1 to 2 ft when not in use. at present it is slamming into sea in offshore use.

--Advertisement--
Re: outboard mounting? [Re: johnmyles] #29962
02/18/04 10:12 AM
02/18/04 10:12 AM
South Louisiana, USA
Clayton Offline
old hand
Clayton  Offline
old hand

South Louisiana, USA
What are you mounting it on? That would make a big difference in application. Do you need to lift it straight up? That will be hard without some mechanical assistance. I have a 9.9 - 4 on my Stiletto and I just kick it up when sailing and that works fine.

Clayton

Re: outboard mounting? [Re: Clayton] #29963
02/19/04 11:58 AM
02/19/04 11:58 AM
Near SLC, Utah
tomthouse Offline
tomthouse  Offline

Near SLC, Utah
Clayton:

I'm still thinking about replacing the 9 hp 2-stroke on my Stiletto 27...with something that will push the boat faster for those occasional long, windless, coastal passages while cruising. I wish to improve the motor’s ability to handle head-to-wind motoring when bashing directly home, during those occasional "in-your-face" winds from hell". I also wish to have a charging system on the motor so it will help maintain my battery's charge during my two-week long coastal cruising adventures.

My questions are:

How do you like the 9.9-4?

What does it weigh?

Is it a Honda?

Did you modify the Stiletto's motor bracket or is it stock?

Why did you opt for the 9.9-4 instead of something larger, which costs the boat about the same amount of weight?

How do you handle thh motor and all that wieght when you break down the boat for trailering?

Where to you carry the motor when trailering the boat?

What would your recommendation(s) be for re-powering the Stiletto 27?

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited by tomthouse; 02/19/04 12:10 PM.
Re: outboard mounting? [Re: tomthouse] #29964
02/20/04 01:43 PM
02/20/04 01:43 PM
South Louisiana, USA
Clayton Offline
old hand
Clayton  Offline
old hand

South Louisiana, USA
Hello Tom,

The 9.9 was already on my boat when I purchased it. It is a high thrust Yamaha engine. It pushes the Stiletto amazingly quick for its size. It is pretty heavy though about 100#s. If I were to purchase one I would probably get an 18 hp with the same weight. Some have told me there is no difference between the 2 except maybe carb. and small displacement. For typical lake sailing the waves won't be too large so you would only have to deal with the wind.
I use the standard motor mount with a wave deflector that I built (see the portfolio section of the Stiletto website) When I take the boat down the motor is mounted onto a cross rail on the trailer. It is mounted just like it sits on the back ob the boat except straight out but I paded the mount and have had no problem.

One of the Stiletto's in LC has a Merc. 25 4 stroke, I think the weight is close to the Yamaha. I wouldn't go larger because of the weight sticking out the back. The 4 stroke is much more fuel efficient than a 2 stroke (less polutants too). A comparison on a trip out of LC had 2 Stilettos one with the 25 Merc. and one with a 15 Merc. 2 stroke (a weekend trip down to the gulf) the smaller engine used an extra tank of fuel (6 gallons). Of course your mileage may vary, not available in all states, 1 available per customer (no wait that is something else)...

Does this help?

Clayton

Re: outboard mounting? [Re: Clayton] #29965
02/20/04 02:42 PM
02/20/04 02:42 PM
big island hawaii
johnmyles Offline OP
stranger
johnmyles  Offline OP
stranger

big island hawaii
clayton,
i am mounting on two wooden beams which protrude aft from the stern about 18 inches apart i do tilt engine however mounting board is 1 to2 ft below deck and in large offshore swells it slams into them.i do lift engine for maintainence by using tackle secured to boom this works nicely and assume it could lift engine and mount on track assembly.

Re: outboard mounting? [Re: Clayton] #29966
02/25/04 06:55 PM
02/25/04 06:55 PM
T
TomHouse Offline
stranger
TomHouse  Offline
stranger
T

Clayton:

Thanks for the info on your outboard and others you've seen on your local Stilettos.

Armed with that info and other information I've been collecting, I'm presently saving my pennies for a Honda high thrust 20 hp 4 stroke, extra long shaft.

That will more than double my available horses, give me an alternator to charge my batteries and help run my autohelm... I can help reduce pollution and improve my miles I get out of a gallon.

I do a fair amount ot coastal cruising, on the open waters of the Sea of Cortez, in Mexico, on the Pacific Ocean, off southern California, in addition to local lake sailing, here in Utah. Indeed, on some of those coastal trips, we've ended up motoring long distances with no wind. We've also had more than sufficient expereince with opting to motor, rather than sail, when we've wished to make a bee-line to some shelter, when the wind got to be more work than pleasure, in rougher conditions.

Either way, the 9 hp two stroke was lots better than a paddle, but I certainly wished I had a more juice.

Thanks for the info.

Tom

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 458 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022