09/19/05 07:11 AM
09/19/05 07:11 AM
Virginia Beach
Sunvista Offline OP
journeyman
Sunvista  Offline OP
journeyman

Virginia Beach
I dropped my mast for hurricane Ophelia and almost called it a season. But I decided I could eek out a couple more sails so I put it back up this weekend. The wind was good but my boat seemed real sluggish. When I pulled it back up on shore I noticed a steady stream of water under the starboard hull. I opened the drain plug and, uh-oh, about ten gallons of water poured out. I tried to build up the keels on my '82 H16 a couple years ago with marine filler but most of it went away from dragging the boat over the sand. Can anyone suggest a more permanent keel repair kit or product? I'm a recreational sailor so I'm not to worried about performance. Just want to stop the leak. My hulls are otherwise nice and hard (for a 23 year old boat).

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Need keel repair advice [Re: Sunvista] #57535
09/19/05 07:26 AM
09/19/05 07:26 AM
St. Louis, MO
hobienick Offline
enthusiast
hobienick  Offline
enthusiast

St. Louis, MO
I would go check out the Hobie forum on thier website. Lots of guys on there with lots of experience doing repairs.

My suggestion is to notuse Marine filler but use an epoxy (like West Systems) with a silica filler to make an almost toothpaste consistancy mixture to buld up the keels close to the finished shape. Let ti scure about halfway then add the final layer to build it out the the final shape. Mix this layer with micro ballon filler. This will allow any paint or surface treatment to adhere better.

Nick

Current Boat
Looking for one

Previous Boats
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
'74 Pearson 30
St. Louis, MO
Re: Need keel repair advice [Re: hobienick] #57536
09/19/05 10:41 AM
09/19/05 10:41 AM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
Time for a bottom job. You need to use glass cloth if worn through. Layers of woven strips laminated to the keel.

Do a search for "bottom job".

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
Re: Need keel repair advice [Re: hobienick] #57537
09/19/05 11:49 AM
09/19/05 11:49 AM
Virginia Beach
Sunvista Offline OP
journeyman
Sunvista  Offline OP
journeyman

Virginia Beach
My suggestion is to notuse Marine filler but use an epoxy (like West Systems) with a silica filler to make an almost toothpaste consistancy mixture to buld up the keels close to the finished shape.
Actually this is the exact product I did use before. Just dragging the boat into and out of the water wore it away. I think I need to layer it up now.

Re: Need keel repair advice [Re: mmiller] #57538
09/19/05 01:25 PM
09/19/05 01:25 PM
Virginia Beach
Sunvista Offline OP
journeyman
Sunvista  Offline OP
journeyman

Virginia Beach
Time for a bottom job. You need to use glass cloth if worn through. Layers of woven strips laminated to the keel.

Do a search for "bottom job".
How many layers?

Re: Need keel repair advice [Re: Sunvista] #57539
09/19/05 01:57 PM
09/19/05 01:57 PM
Ontario, Canada
Captain_Dave Offline
enthusiast
Captain_Dave  Offline
enthusiast

Ontario, Canada
Go with marine quality epoxy. Cloth/lamination will be a must for your situation. The # of layers will vary depending on how much thickness you need to build up. There is a lot of info on this site alone to give you step by step instruction on this type of repair. Do a search for epoxy, lamination, keel, repair...etc.

Dave

Re: Need keel repair advice [Re: Captain_Dave] #57540
09/19/05 02:50 PM
09/19/05 02:50 PM
North Carolina
hrtsailor Offline
enthusiast
hrtsailor  Offline
enthusiast

North Carolina
I had the same problem a few years ago on the second day of my vacation on North Myrtle Beach. I came in from a sail and couldn't pull the boat up the beach so I took out a plug and drained a lot of water out. I lifeguard said he had a roommate who would fix it for me. The roommate owned several Hobies that he used for a business. He turned the boat over, mixed epoxy and put some glass cloth where the crack had occurred then made a channel on each hull with metallic tape. He poured epoxy into the channel so that I have two strips about 2" wide and at least 1/4" or more thick just about the full length of the hulls.. We didn't shape it to match the hull, just left it. When I got home I tried to file it and found it was so hard I quit. It has been that way for at least 10 years and now I check for water in the hulls about once a season, usually finding nothing.

Howard

Re: Need keel repair advice [Re: hrtsailor] #57541
09/19/05 04:27 PM
09/19/05 04:27 PM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
I have never done one myself, but the basics are:

Flip the boat over (keels up)

File or grind the keels a bit flatter as a base for the new glass to stack onto.

Take 2" glass tape (woven comes on a roll).

Use laminating resin and wet out a layer of cloth and resin. Stack up 6-8 layers one at a time. Squeegee down tight between each layer.

Let harden (a little) till what we call "green" not yet hard. Use a utility knife or longer blade to trim / carve off the excess glass as best as possible. Would require a lot of grinding if you wait too long.

Shape with a rasp or angle grinder when hard.

There is a keel-shape template shown in the support area of the Hobie Cat site: Keel Template

The guy who did them in San Diego would add a clear coat or gel coat only if desired by the customer.

If the keel is split already you have to grind down the gel coat on the sides of the hull on either side of the keel. He would lap the first layer of glass or two over the keep and down the side about an inch to laminate the keel together first and then stack up some layers.

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
Re: Need keel repair advice [Re: mmiller] #57542
09/20/05 09:53 PM
09/20/05 09:53 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Would any place that does fibreglass repair on boats be capable/qualified in doing this? I'm lazy and would rather pay someone else to do it than to muck it up myself.

I'm boatless.
Re: Need keel repair advice [Re: Karl_Brogger] #57543
09/21/05 12:26 AM
09/21/05 12:26 AM
Minnesota
Jeff Peterson Offline
addict
Jeff Peterson  Offline
addict

Minnesota
I want to avoid having to do a bottom job, as my hulls have other problems that make it a waste of a good bottom job on crappy hulls (delamination repairs).

Is there a recommended product for 'painting' on several layers of resin to protect the original glass textile, BEFORE it gets damaged? ...and act as a sacrificial coating for new wear?

Jeff Peterson
H-16 Sail #23721
Big Marine Lake, MN
Re: Need keel repair advice [Re: Jeff Peterson] #57544
09/21/05 08:45 AM
09/21/05 08:45 AM
Virginia Beach
Sunvista Offline OP
journeyman
Sunvista  Offline OP
journeyman

Virginia Beach
I want to avoid having to do a bottom job, as my hulls have other problems that make it a waste of a good bottom job on crappy hulls (delamination repairs).

Is there a recommended product for 'painting' on several layers of resin to protect the original glass textile, BEFORE it gets damaged? ...and act as a sacrificial coating for new wear?
Well, my original repair, building up keels with marine epoxy filler, lasted two seasons. Too bad Hobie doesn't make a pre-formed FRP keel cap that one could just epoxy onto the bottoms. Now there's a market for some savvy inventor.

Re: Need keel repair advice [Re: Sunvista] #57545
09/21/05 12:07 PM
09/21/05 12:07 PM
St. Louis, MO
hobienick Offline
enthusiast
hobienick  Offline
enthusiast

St. Louis, MO
I have been looking into using a 2 part epoxy paint. Still looking for feedback from anyone hwo has done it. You might want to try that out.

Nick

Current Boat
Looking for one

Previous Boats
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
'74 Pearson 30
St. Louis, MO
Re: Need keel repair advice [Re: hobienick] #57546
09/22/05 09:03 AM
09/22/05 09:03 AM
Virginia Beach
Sunvista Offline OP
journeyman
Sunvista  Offline OP
journeyman

Virginia Beach
I have been looking into using a 2 part epoxy paint. Still looking for feedback from anyone hwo has done it. You might want to try that out.
My starboard hull has a hole in the keel. No kind of paint is going to plug a hole. I wouldn't waste my time painting the keels on a beach cat. Three drags across the sand and it will be gone.

Re: Need keel repair advice [Re: Sunvista] #57547
09/29/05 03:33 PM
09/29/05 03:33 PM
Minnesota
Jeff Peterson Offline
addict
Jeff Peterson  Offline
addict

Minnesota
I thought of using epoxy paint, but quickly dismissed that idea, as the layers would be too thin to quickly build up the thickness required. But a resin product that is a thin gel would be best, but I am not aware of such a product. -Seems to me most products are either 'runny' or 'pastey'.

Jeff Peterson
H-16 Sail #23721
Big Marine Lake, MN
Re: Need keel repair advice [Re: Jeff Peterson] #57548
09/29/05 10:08 PM
09/29/05 10:08 PM
St. Louis, MO
hobienick Offline
enthusiast
hobienick  Offline
enthusiast

St. Louis, MO
I was not suggesting to use teh epoxy paint to build up the hulls. Only as the paint after the hull buildup has been completed.

You can change the consistency of the epoxy by adding fillers until you obtain what you are looking for. It is unlikly that an off the shelf product exists at your desired consistency.

Nick

Current Boat
Looking for one

Previous Boats
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
'74 Pearson 30
St. Louis, MO
Re: Need keel repair advice [Re: hobienick] #57549
09/30/05 01:12 AM
09/30/05 01:12 AM
West Texas
JaimeZX Offline
enthusiast
JaimeZX  Offline
enthusiast

West Texas
If you don't want to use fiberglass then I'd just get a bunch of epoxy and high density filler and mix up the epoxy to whatever consistancy you feel is best (I'd vote for "peanut-butter"-like) and build it up that way. I suppose if you thought you had a LOT of buildup to do you could get some dowels or something like that to take up space and put the thickened epoxy over *that*...

Warm regards, Jim
Re: Need keel repair advice [Re: JaimeZX] #57550
09/30/05 10:41 AM
09/30/05 10:41 AM
Ontario, Canada
Captain_Dave Offline
enthusiast
Captain_Dave  Offline
enthusiast

Ontario, Canada
If I may, I`d like to make a suggestion regarding the dowels that Jaime suggested.

Wood dowel is not very suitable for this kind of keel repair. The reason being; as you re-wear those keels (inevitable) the dowel will wick up the water, then swell and bust open the entire repair site. And, once the wicking starts, you`re pretty much toast and the whole repair will have to be cut/ground out.

As for what to use, including two-part epoxy and polyurethane for finishing...see my two separate posts titled "major restorations". I have detailed step by step almost everything you are asking. This includes fillers, techniques, product names and even the number of ounces of paint and primer needed.

Though my keels were quite worn, they only had to be built up about 3/8 inch max in some spots - usually less. So, I was able to get by with only epoxy (fumed silica as a filler) or plain old VINYL ester resin putty from 3M on the smaller repairs. If you are building up more than this, you really must go with Matt`s suggestion using glass cloth. I personally try to use glass cloth in tape form (as Matt suggested) whenever I can. It is MUCH more convenient than cutting up strips of glass yourself.

There are many "before and after" pictures to show you what to expect for your finished product.

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/sho...=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/sho...=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

hope it helps,

Dave

Re: Need keel repair advice [Re: Captain_Dave] #57551
10/01/05 11:08 PM
10/01/05 11:08 PM
West Texas
JaimeZX Offline
enthusiast
JaimeZX  Offline
enthusiast

West Texas
Good thinking, Dave! That should've been obvious to me. Maybe one could use aluminum rods for that instead. I dunno, just throwing out ideas here...

Warm regards, Jim
Re: Need keel repair advice [Re: JaimeZX] #57552
10/03/05 01:54 AM
10/03/05 01:54 AM
Minnesota
Jeff Peterson Offline
addict
Jeff Peterson  Offline
addict

Minnesota
I was thinking a non-epoxy resin would be better. Epoxy doesn't have much UV stability, and would require painting...and the paint would just wear off. Are the ester resins thin enough to paint on the hulls?

Jeff Peterson
H-16 Sail #23721
Big Marine Lake, MN
Re: Need keel repair advice [Re: Jeff Peterson] #57553
10/03/05 01:31 PM
10/03/05 01:31 PM
Ontario, Canada
Captain_Dave Offline
enthusiast
Captain_Dave  Offline
enthusiast

Ontario, Canada
Non-epoxy will be less expensive and easier to work with (somewhat), But, it will not be better. Epoxide reactions and the chemical bonds that they form are about a good as it gets for this sort of repair... UV is of no real concern for a keel job and I believe all the resin types can be negatively affected by UV.

In general, the quality and relative costs of the common resin types used in this kind of marine construction/repair are as follows (from best/most expensive, to less expensive/effective):

(1) Epoxy (marine grade/quality)
(2) Vinyl ester resin
(3) Isothalic polyester resin
(4) Orthothalic polyester resin.

To these, one can add the filler of choice, or just laminate using glass cloth. Simply "painting resins on" is a common error most of us make when first experimenting with these types of materials. The reason being, if you build up a surface using resins only (without cloth or suitable fillers) you will find that the finshed product will spider-web with cracks and chip apart. This can occur within a few hours to days... or over a season or two depending on several variables. I have found the polyesters much more prone to this than the epoxies. The bottom line is - resins ALONE are only suitable for the very smallest of voids/repairs and no good for structural or abrasive support. It is what we add (fillers, fiberglass) to the resins that give them the qualities we need in the marine field.

Dave

P.S Hey Jaime, I knew you were aware of the dowel thing and were just throwing out ideas... I went to your website a few months back and checked out the impressive (from scratch) fabrication you did on your rudders. Nice work for sure!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 521 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022