I have a few questions about the T 5.7. My dad and I are the proud owners of a T5.7, and to this day (sailed the boat two seasons), we have not met one boat, except for the 60' trimarans, that can outsail us. Living in Norway, the competition is not exactely big, so this really does not say much. I therefore wonder just have quick the T5.7 really is? Could it match a Tornado Sport giving the same conditions in terms of the crew's skills and of course wind and weather? How much faster would a 10' beam make the T5.7? Or a carbon mast?
As it is now, the T5.7 weighs in at approx. 145kg fully rigged with a chute. The custom, 9.5 meters aluminum mast weighs about 20 kg. How much would a similar carbon mast weigh? 15 kilos?
I see that according to the Portsmouth Yardstick, the T5.7 has got 8 to 10 boats under 25' that are rated faster. Is it really possible to determine which boat is faster through these rating systems? I know that the f18ht for instance is rated higher than the T5.7. This despite the fact that the T5.7 has got a longer water length, more sail area, and is only 10-15 kilos heavier. How can this be?
Also I wonder if any of you on the forum can put out some of your speed records, it would be fun to watch how fast the different cats go. Any of you know the theoretical top speed for the T5.7? Any of you tested it? smile.gif
Jimi