Mike,

I fully agree that you do not need a new boat to win any championship. I was just trying to point out that there are always going to be differences in equipment and hence excusses around the keg after as to why some one beat some one else. When I was racing the H16 there was constant talk of who had the new sails, or boat or who was lighter etc.

I would much prefer everyone be on the same boat, but that is not viable where I sail now. I do this for my social outlet. Part of that is competition. And although it is not a perfect tactical 1 design scenario, I still judge myself by the boats I am around without regard to the rating. I am not doing this for trophies, but fun. I want to try and have better mark roundings, sail sets, starts etc than those I am racing against whether its a H16, I20 or a F18.

All of this is about getting more people out to events. There is not enough participation for large 1 design fleets very many palces. The people and the party is what keeps me going to these anyway.

The other item for me and this may not be true for anyone else, but I want to enjoy the sail while I am doing it. Competition is very attractive, but if the whole world decided to move to Waves, I would likely bow out. The Wave for me, competion or not, is not fun in less than 25 knots of wind and that does not happen to often in FL.

I am bringing my kids into this now and as long as I can still raise my mast and they have cold beer, I want to keep going. If Portsmouth is what we have, so be it.

Matt