They dont bump much in the current optis, so I see "safety bows" as kind of overdoing it. Hypothermia is a far more likely danger, but I dont think the boat should be designed with that in mind either.

Im with Rolf, most kids are not idiots and hence will do their best to avoid trouble. I think we are worrying too much. I started sailing young and apart from occasionally getting squeezed on a start line or at a mark with a slight bump (gunwhale to gunwhale) I don't think Ive ever hit anyone.

Rolf,

It depends on where you sail. Hypotermia is not a problem in tropical waters, where colisions with swimers are a reality.

In Brasil, for example, it is prohibited to sail or row closer then 100m to shore to avoid colisions with swimers (200 m with engine). Crowded beaches usually have small channels marked with buoys through which jet skis, kayaks, beach cats, etc are supposed to leave and approach the shore.

RG

Kids are smart, especially those who sail, but accidents are more probable when learning than later, whether involving kids or adults.

Sacrifice bows are't present in any competing design, so their absence isn't a disadvantage. On the other hand, they could help build a favorable image of a safe boats for kids.

Along the same line I dream of mast top winglets, not necessarily effective as a go-fast resource, but with enough flotation to keep the boat from turtling. I think their look would help sell the boat to kids while their 'secondary' function would work with parents.

Just my points of view, of course. I can be wrong.

Luiz