Carl-

I recall my first ride on a T after which I ordered one the next day from Sailcraft of Canada. It is a different breed of cat and was much more so in the early 1970s. I took alot of people [off the beach] for rides and not one bought a T. In the seven years I sailed that boat I know of one person that bought a cat. It turned out they liked going for rides but didn't want the expense of ownership or the learning curve. Now you can buy a cat for the cost of a new jib so the expense problem has gone away with all the used boats that are around today. So where are these guys? I believe that some tried it and didn't get the "instant results" they were looking for and parked it. There is a difference between sailing with someone that has applied themselves and over time has the ability to make a cat sail to its maximum capabilities and the guy that comes out twice a month and can't get around...

I was told one day that I was deceptive because I let a friend sail my T. The first few minutes were filled with constant instructions. He asked "how can this be so simple when you steer the boat and difficult when I just touch the tiller"? After awhile he was going to windward without almost putting us in capsize mode.

Its been my experience since the middle 1960s that catsailing has the appearance of being alot of work. As long as the work factor outweighs the fun factor I don't think catsailing is going to grow that much. Especially with the "I don't want to turn over" or "I don't want to get wet" prevails.

When you compare sports like cycling to catsailing theres really no comparison in the numbers of participants at races. An upper level bike will cost around $5000 max. There are rallys year round and for this area the Hotter than Hell drew thousands of people the last few years. The work factor is far greater than sailing but the skill factor is less. That maybe the key factor that stops many people from staying with the sport. The fact that it may take years before someone is an acomplished catsailor while it takes far less to be competitive in other sports.

thom