Like I said, when the thing wants to pitchpole go low or deep or whatever it is you wanna call it.

this applies to sitting at the back of the boat or on the wire, so what is your point?

When I said the bows dig in- I don't mean to the extent of pitchpoling. I mean that the bows dig in and the water rushes up to the main beam and you slow way down. That is why keeping the bows up is fast (aside from the obvious decreased risk of ppoling)

Awesome, during a race!(like Midwinters) I think I would just stop at that point and wait for the next race to start! Like I said, the guys with time on the tiller have already seen the gust coming and are prepared if not already turning down.

Tom

ps. Wasn't there a picture of an F16 going over with two F17's just behind, I'm betting they had already seen the gust and if not used the F16 that was about to pitchpole as a guide. In other words, those two F17's probably were able to really nail it from the cue they got by that boy going over. Nothing against the F16 guy, he just needs more time in those conditions.