I haven't sailed an F16 but imagine that with its short waterline you either have to get the weight back as far as humanly possible (get a chicken wire for that), or keep both hulls in the water for most of the time.

Waves have a ritme to them as well, just like the gusts. You steer S-curves to handle the wind and another set of S-curves for the waves. These two as superimposed on eachother.

I do typically sit far back on the boat, against the rearbeam, but I never have two hulls in the water unless light winds force me to.

I don't use a chicken line and I don't have a footstrap. I sit on the luff hull and hike out using the footbands on the trampoline. In that position I can throw the tiller extension behind the boat and just lay my hand on the rudder tiller extension and steer by pressure it excerts on the palm of my hand. When need be I can let go of the tiller and use two hands for sheeting the spi or adjusting the mainsail.

Basically the same as you can see Terry back do here only difference is that Terry is holding onto the tiller bar where I (again) only lay my hand on the tiller arm that is part of the rudder stock itself and often hang my body out over the side.

[Linked Image]

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 03/14/08 06:33 AM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands