This is a minor variation on Richie Rich going out and purchasing top flight equipment that may give him an edge on the race course. However, this usally corrects itself in a year. Usually Richie Rich finds that he wants to play with other people with $$$ and moves up to the $$$$ class.

Basically, you feel the playing field is not level and competing in the game while handicapped makes the game not worth playing.

I'm not sure if I understand you exactly, but I will add that that is why one-design beachcat racing is is so cool. For example, pretty much, if you spend $10,000 on a brand new Hobie 16, that's it, you're done, no need to drop anymore dough. (I've seen guys win races on $1000 H16's) There is noting else to spend your money on to make the boat go faster other than sailing. I saw a guy last summer win a race against some of the best 16 sailors in the world on a beat up, scavenged together (2003?) H16.

Other classes are different, but for the most part in the sailing world beachcat racing is cheap. The sponsor thing is less of a factor, because being rich is less of a factor.

Who sponsors beachcat teams here in the US other than small businesses anyway? The dollar amount is nominal if any.

Last edited by SurfCity; 03/10/08 08:47 PM.