Take a look at the article in Sailing World this month
Corinthian Dreams
The fledgling Club Swan 42 class is building its base and its vitality by pitting talented amateurs shoulder-to-shoulder.
by Stuart Streuli

The article recounts the history of how to handle the Pro / AM nature of the sport.

Most of the favorable points that supporters brought up in this thread of the Pro/am game are also noted in the article. The fuzzy lines for this game date all the way back. Rules have come an gone or been ignored for ever.

So,

In a NYYC survey... 43% felt that proffesionalism was a problem. Just under half thought that the pro's should not compete in the amateur ranks! (What is it for cat sailors ... are we that much different from the rest of the world)

The Mumm 36 class cratered when the amateurs stopped playing.
The most proffesional catamaran class in the USA was the Tornado Class...No restrictions on advertising or proffesionalism. Total North american boats that go racing. maybe 10... number of regattas in USA 3.
Total left after the Olympic carrot taken away ??? Regattas scheduled in 08 ZERO!

Yet the amateurs LOVED racing against the pros (That was my experience as well).... Hmm.. my take home point... the mix is not sustainable.

the next big class became the Farr 40 class which limited the pro's contribution to 4 on the boat.

The NYC guys created a new class and new boat from scratch the Swann 42 where the fundamental rule is no play to pay.

So... The big point is to address the question. "what is the proper balance of pro / am for catamaran class growth."

Seems to me... that proper balance would have as a first step. No advertising on the sails at all events below a North American championship. (put the stickers on and off as needed. If you want to keep them on for your sponsor you .... you can race in the pro class for your boat.
(The Low Rent Regatta did this for years with a manufacturer class racing seperately from the Amateur class

This no advert rule is almost a universal principal of yacht clubs and most classes around the country. Maybe we should follow the lead!

crac.sailregattas.com