We race to win, and amateurs will very, very, rarely win against professionals. We can enjoy and shine in our own progress, but in the end racing is about winning, not how much better you have become. Many say this is not the case, but in the end, honestly, you race to win.

but in the end racing is about winning

But winning for me is a relative thing. I still get excited in the small wins I have at each regatta. The ONE time I get to the A-mark first. The ONE time I didn't follow the pack and pulled out a first, in ONE race.

The guys that go to the Pro-Am type of events in other sports do it for the social aspect as well as the chance to have that small win. Or to have one of the Pro's give them a word of encouragement, or coaching tip.

Most of us are already trying to beat the "local pro" in our own areas. It's how we gauge our performance. Then one day we wake up and we are the "local pro". Either through experience, or attrition.

I think in the end there are events that the PRO's don't want amatuers in, and visa-versa.

But when I wanted to pump up support for a youth event, one of my first thoughts was, "how do I get a PRO, big name, hot-shot to come and talk to the kids?"

Hobie Tiger 2003