Greetings,

New to the forum and new to sailing. I've been interested in getting into sailing for a while now. The wife has also voiced some interest in learning to sail. We are currently in the Galveston, TX area but have yet to get out on the water. We looked around for sailing lessons and found that it would have cost us $500 to get our license. I was advised by others to skip the lessons and start with a catamaran to learn and then work my way up.

Recently, a friend of the family mentioned he was selling a Boston Whaler Supercat 17 with trailer and sails for $800. I have not seen it yet, but he says it is in good shape. He did not remember the year, but thought it was '82 or maybe '86.

If it is indeed in good shape, does that sound like a good deal? Are parts readily available and are they as cheap and easy to find as I imagine Hobie parts are?

Unfortunatly, we're moving very shortly. The military has me moving quite a bit, which is one of the reasons I think a catamaran would be good. I can't imagine they are terribly heavy, and I have a vehicle that can tow it wherever the Army sends us. We will be moving to the Chicago area this time.

I've looked up prices for lessons and whatnot in the Chicago area and they seem to be quite a bit more than here in Galveston. Yet, another reason why I'm wondering if I should snatch up this cat before we leave.

What do you think?

On a related note, are any of you in the Chicago area? I would like to get in touch with some folks who wouldn't mind giving a pointer or two and direct us to some places to sail.

Thanks