We all did agree on 3.80 mtr as maximum overall length for the F12. Of that I'm sure. At least we had I "I agree, lets do that" from all 4 persons must involved with the F12. Retired_Geek, Scarecrow, Phill and myself.

All the rest failed to achieve concensus among even this small group.

I'm still of the opinion that we need a tighter ruleset then that to make this class work and be a succes.

How do we go about formalising these or some alternate rules?

I think announcement, discussion and (majority) acceptance ON THIS FORUM to be the only way forward at this time.

Currently the group is still small enough to reach a concensus, with passing time the group will grow and make it much harder to get agreement. So I think the basic foundation needs to be lay down as soon as we can. At this time I would include everybody who is (seriously) interested in the discussions and the agreement. Of course some people (builders, designers) will always be a little more important then a "passer-by", but that should really not be a problem apart from some huffing and puffing.

The main point is that we set ourselves a goal of reaching a final agreement by a set time. If we need more time to gain experience then also set a date a year in the future for a large scale final review after which the setup and class are finalized and kept constant over time.

It would be nice to have a more formal review of the boat by gato at this time. Like is 7.0 sq. mtr a good size sail ? How heavy is the boat now and what is the lowest we can achieve with rotomolded hulls.

I'm a little involved in polyethyleen kayaks and these weight about 22 kg for 3.55 mtr length. The volume is not unlike a small cat hull and so it appears that 25 kg per F12 hull in well redevelopped PE (poly-ethyleen) is possible. Pretty much putting the ready to sail F12 at about 70 kg. PE is pretty far developped now in commerical kayaks, these guys have been at it for years now trying to get these as light as possible. PE is VERY abuse resistant.

I'm convinced that the rotomolded PE production of F12's is a huge commericial benefit. Think rentals and cheap production. Typical kayaks go for 600 Euro. Making sub 1500 Euro's for 2 F12 hulls viable. This will still allow the F12 to be commercially available for our targetted low costs.

I think this should be considered when setting a minimal F12 weight. I'm sure a few kg difference is acceptable enough, but not 20 kg (50 kg ply versus 70 kg PE)

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands