Gato came in around 50kg if you put the minimum weight at 70kg (the same weight as an 18ft cat) you will kill the class.

No we won't kill the class if we set its weight higher then the absolutely minimum that is technical possible. You can build an A-cat for just under 50 kg and still the class is very succesful at 75 kg. Additionally, this is the only 18 ft cat that I know off that even comes close to your quoted 70 kg. But for that feat it is also the most expensive 18 foot catamaran and won't survive any dock ramming.

Remember, whatever we decide for minimum weight now will have a big impact on the F12 future. Set it too low and it will be economically unviable, set it to high and it will be insufficiently attractive. I personally still believe 60 kg min weight as proposed last year and taken up in the provisional class rules is the best compromise.

And I wish to underline again that the only way to make these boats in series for our stated low asking price is by rotomolding. Timber is too prohibitive labour intensive and foam/glass is relatively expensive again because it is labour intensive.

So the question become whether we want a home-builder class or a large class with commercial builders and retailers. If we want to F12 to be trainer for kids and teenagers then we HAVE to build a large class internationally and we simply can do that by homebuilding alone.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands