My prefered solution to the whole rules thing is to confirm the box as described in the above attachment (see poll threads) and then when a certain number of boats have been launched hand the whole thing over to the people who own the boats to discuss and vote on finalising the rules. In the weight thread I suggested that this should be set at 10 boats. Together the owners of these boats will have spent approx $20-30k and they deserve the right to shape the class's future a lot more than a group of people chatting on a sailing forum.

None of the boats currently being built are carbon rule beaters they are all being home built with "reasonable" levels of technology as is my understanding of the original concept of the class and none of these people are going to vote in a minimum weight so low that it makes their boats worthless.

Maybe an alternative to waiting until a certain number of boats are built is to wait for a certain number of designs to be built (3 or 4) as this will then give a good sample size upon which to base decisions.