Do what you must guys.

Personally I don't any kid carry 45 kg by himself either, let alone take it off the roof rack by himself. That is just not the way these things work. But more importantly I don't see many commercial builders go for a 45 kg boat and garantee/warrantee it too. Technically they can but commercially they won't.

I know that cat classes in Aus and NZ have typically build featherweight boats, but sadly none ever broke through internationally. Surely their light weights should have made these classes extremely hot.

I learned to rig and sail on a 750 kg sailboat when I was 12 and the fun wasn't any less for it.

The most popular dinghies for kids and teenagers (up to 16 years of age) are the optimist, splash and laser radial at respectively ready to sail weights of 45kg, 70kg and 80kg. I have never seen the kids handle these boats all by themselves.

We had this discussion many times before and the class will fail on this discussion over and over again. At some point you have got to make a decision. Go for a small 30 kg homebuilder class with main focus in NZ and Aus, or go for a fully international class and make concessions to allow for full growth and allow commercial builders to keep their pants in one piece.

I think I'm sounding like a broken record by now so I'll stop.

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 07/07/08 05:12 PM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands