Your untrained eye is semi-correct ...
The tracks act as a travler to move your jib in and out on the beam... but this only is good if your boat and jib was designed for that.

the barberhauler is an outhaul that pulls your jib out towards the outer limits of the beam/hull. HOWEVER this is desirable (mostly) downwind when you want to make a FULL (round) sail shape on your jib. If you sail by your tell-tales (as you should IMHO) you will see downwind your jib needs to be full and upwind flat... (generally speaking)

If you outhaul (with a barber hauler) when going upwind you will have a miss shaped jib (as mentioned above you will be pulling from to much of the leach and not enough foot of the sail).

I think (IMHO) you should install the bungie (higher than the turnbuckles) for $2, tape up the turnbuckles with electical tape $.50 (or rigging tape) and learn how to work with the jib (i used to have to shake my Hobie16 jib every now and again while sailing).

If you feel like you want more items to adjust and want to tinker with jib shape, then install a barber hauler.

It is not a huge advantage in either handling your jib/hangup problems because it is mainly for downwind sailing... and creates a little more work (and deck clutter) to cleat and uncleat when you tack....

if you do put your rudders in a bag/on your tramp... you may want to wrap them up individually because when your trailer jumps over potholes and other bumps they will bang against eachother they can scrape, scratch, bend, ding and just break off each other. Deep scratches can cause water to get in the rudder, swell, and split the rudders. So just be sure to secure them, and protect them and you should be fine!

OR you could put your baby in the bag on the tramp.. that should give you room in your car for the rudders (kidding)

But most of all. just have fun!

Last edited by andrewscott; 07/22/08 10:14 PM.