Personally I strongly prefer a max luff length measurement as well, mostly because this rule is alot more difficult to break then a black band rule. Afterall, my unstayed mast will be collapsable and it is a 5 euro and 5 minute job to replace the top section with a slightly longer one after getting a measurement certificate. Replacing the sail (with a stamp and signiture) is alot harder and more expensive. With a max luff length the mast black band distance is also implecitly fixed.

Makes sense to me.

Marstrom and the F14 builder fit inspection hatches to their sterns which are always flat panels as it will be pretty hard to align the rudder pintles on a curved panel.

I like stern hatches because one can see the entire inside from there, not only the vicinity of the hatch. All Supercats/ARCs have stern hatches. I used them in my floats for the same reason - and because they are usefull for construction in two halves.

[Linked Image]

Remember, when things get competitive we can expect some sea lawer to comb the rules for an advantage... We better make sure the rules are already as well worded as possible from the start to avoid troubles later.

I would also include organistional rules, event rules and a definitions section to the F12 class rules and make the boxrule section an individual section. These don't have to be as elaborate the versions with the F18 or F16 rules but I still think we should have them. Again to avoid ourselves difficult discussions later.

Although I still dream of a one design class, it seems that we have a mini A class in our hands. We need not re-invent the wheel: just adapt the A-Class rules to the F12.

The spirit of the F12 rule is to

-1- Limit the overall performance of all F12 craft to such similar level that first-in-wins course racing is fair irrespectibally of the craft used by a particular crew.

-2- Have all crews have acces to any F12 design (given reasonable costs) that is most capable of wining a course race if ever a significant difference between makes is ever encountered.

Etc

The right wording is of utmost importance here. This point deserves our atention.

Attached Files

Luiz