Seven races in one day is (was) highly unusual. We were on the third day of the event with only two races completed. The weather predicted for the fourth day looked dismal.

PU was not on an ego trip - he was trying to get races in on the only day he thought he could.

He was highly efficient. There were no general recalls. There were individual recalls. He didn't even need to use the I flag with us, we were so well behaved at the starts.

The target race time was 45 minutes. He kept to a 1 hour cycle time (start of one race to the start of another). We were on the water for 7 1/2 hours (9:30 AM - 5 PM). Every race was a course 2, with the exception of the last which was a course 6 to finish us back at the beach.

The 5 races on the following day were a "gift" - totally unexpected. It's easy to have 20/20 hindsight and say, "Seven races was too many in one day." Would we have been saying that if we got no races in on Thursday? With only one light race on Friday? That would have made a grand total of 10 races in 5 days.

At the NACRA North Americans, I warned the competitors that I planned to run races with no lunch break the first day. I told them to bring water and snacks out with them. There was some bitching and moaning (especially when I did it to them on the second day) - but after I had 10 races in the bag, I lightened up and gave them a lunch break on the third day.

Of course, we pissed away the best wind of the day by doing that.