Light winds favour uni, fresh favours sloop. Just check out the forecast and plan accordingly.

Just as team USA did with the Hooter in this years Olympics right ? Sure as hell made them a winner !

Otherwise Scooby sais it best.

Besides, this is something that can never be prohibited. Why not have a special high winds and special low wind suit of sails ? And wait till the last possible moment of registration to decide what to use. Same when you own a Tornado and an A-cat. Then too you can wait till the last possible moment and switch upon what you think gives you the best advantage. I hear the Tiger is best for high winds and the Capricorn for the rest. Why not own both and decided right before the registration closes ? Want to change mainsail cut mid-event in a F18 world championship ? Just jump through it and claim replacement due to damage.

Most classes pretend that these loopholes don't exist. The F16 class does not. So with us you can switch setup to whatever you like right up to the closing of the registation office and change only mid-event when that is accepted by your competitors in the fleet. Simple and effective !

My PERSONAL opinion is that a crew may change whenever they want (I really don't believe one setup has a significant advantage over another) when each setup is handled in the results as a seperate entry. Thus meaning that when you switch you'll receive DNS's for all races where you were sailing in the old setup and DNS's for all future races you are not sailing the old setup.

Example :

Say I switch midevent in a 2 day event (3 races each day) :

2-up : 1st race = 4th, 2nd race = 3 rd, 3rd race = 5th, 4th race = DNS, 5th race = DNS, 6th race = DNS
1-up : 1st race = DNS, 2nd race = DNS, 3rd race = DNS, 4th race = 3rd, 5th race = 1st, 6th race = 4th

There is absolutely no way you can be in any way advantaged to a crew who has done all races in the same setup (no dns's) this way as of course each DNS awards you the maximum amount of points in a "the best of low scores" system.

You will be foolish to switch setups in a structure like this and thus it will be selfcontrolling.

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 10/28/08 06:23 AM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands