Quick one as I'm late for the next meeting;

The Commission's first meeting went really well and there were about 25 people in the room. It appears that the Program Commission will meet next month and recommend to the Exec of IOC that the deletions of several medals for the 2012 Games be postponed, which includes sailing. The Exec meets in February and will consider that recommendation. The Multihull Commission is recommending that the 11th medal go to a Multihull Event, and that the equipment be decided upon notification. We heard from Hobie in support of the Tiger, Nacra in support of the Infusion, and from the ITA in support of the new one-design Tornado. The Commission is recommending that if ISAF wants the highest performance, the Tornado be used, and if they are seeking a boat with wider distribution, that the Tiger be used. It was pointed out to us that the Infusion is not an ISAF Recognized Class. While the Nacra F18 was, the Infusion, with a different designer, hasn't completed the process nor affixed plaques and paid per-boat licensing.

Other things that were under discussion; the Commission is recommending that the Executive not support the submission from Yachting Australia to drop the SL16 as an eligible boat for use in the ISAF Youth Worlds. We also got some reassurance that the multihull event will remain in the Youth Worlds for the forseeable future.

The Commission came out in favor of the various Five Discipline submissions, and is urging the Exec to make a decision sooner than later to allow the evaluation of a Women's platform. There is some indication that those submissions will be pushed off until 2011 since they all deal with the 2016 Games.

More in a bit - wish you guys were here. :-)

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.