Originally Posted by Mary
Hey, guys, I agree with absolutely everything Tami said.

However, this can work both ways. In my family, it was my sister who was the ardent racing sailor, and she gave it up when she married her husband, a wrestling coach. They had a couple of children. She went to all of his wrestling meets and totally supported him in his teaching career. But there was no hobby or sport that they did together.

I don't think she ever would have thought of saying anything about missing sailing. So one night many years ago at Put-in-Bay Rick got them both drunk and convinced them that Betty had to get back into sailing and that Dick had to be part of it. At the same time Rick sold them his old, beat-up Tornado.

The next morning Dick woke up and asked Betty, "Did I dream this, or did we buy a boat last night?"

Well, Betty trained Dick to become an excellent crew, and they have been racing together ever since. It's not a sport he would have chosen, and maybe not one he even enjoys that much. But it makes him happy to make his wife happy.

They helped organize and run a sailing club, they got an old Prindle for their kids to learn to sail on. So another generation learned to love sailing.

Thanks to Dick taking up his wife's sport, at this point all four of us are racing Hobie Waves against each other, and they and their daughter are now introducing the grandchildren to sailing, just as Rick and I are.

It's just an example of how marriage is a two-way street.

It's a coincidence that I still get a kick out of - Mary's brother in-law was my high school coach and I knew him well (long before I knew anything about sailing catamarans). When he was coaching, he was an incredibly inspirational person who stood up for and inspired people from all walks of life. His coaching style was strict but completely approachable. He taught much more than wrestling in practice, and still managed to joke and have a great time with everyone while turning out a lot of state champions.

It may have been the Hobie 18 he setup during a PE class that set the bug in my brain that would develop 12 or 14 years later...who knows...but I do know that I was pretty shocked to discover this coincidence in 2002 when I went to Put-In-Bay with an old high school buddy to race my Nacra 5.2 during race week....and I got to race against (and be "over-served" in the evenings) with my high school coach and his wife Betty.

Jake Kohl