Hi Jake, Hi Mary,Hi Everyone,
I think I must comment on all of this. My husband Dick, as Mary said, is a high school wrestling coach, teacher and athletic director. From November to March our lives revolve around the wrestling schedule and lots of other activities at school. From May to October our lives revolve around sailing.
When our two children were born (2 years apart)there was a period we did not sail. The ONLY reason was money. We had none. When Rick got Dick drunk and sold him his old Tornado, we were ready. We would pack up the kids, the dog, the babysitter and the boat to go almost every weekend to a regatta.
The point being, I involved myself in whatever Dick was interested in AND Dick involved himself in whatever I was interested in = remember it works both ways.
Women = either go sailing with your man or find something to do on shore that you enjoy.
Men = do things with your women that they like OR watch the kids so she can go off to do her thing, whatever it is.
I don't understand all the complaining - probably because Dick and I have found out how it works for us.
As far as babies - congratulations - and remember they are coming into our life NOT us coming into their lives. After the first 8 weeks - believe me they will adapt to whatever livestyle you throw at them.
Dick and I hauled our kids to all the wrestling matches, football games, track meets, and regattas in the rain, sleet and snow, from the age of 3 months and I don't think it hurt them in any way.
OK so much for my two cents.
BR - sit down and talk to your wife. You may be surprised.