G'day Matthew the Arafura Cadet has been a hidden treasure, when the Tornado got axed from the Olympics I realized I was one of the cat sailors who’s kids sailed dinghy’s we had 2x420’s so I cracked a wobbly sold the 420’s ordered 2xF12’s publicizing that on this forum then people e-mailed me telling me about Arrows and Arafura’s so I got some. The 20 kids are total so on any weekend there is probably only 13 or so around the club. We have 4x420's, 1x14ft Sundance, then my kids 2 Arafura's and 2 Arrows to be joined by a F12 soon. The kids are from 8 to 15 and I encourage them to mix crews and muck around but the kids take the racing deadly serious, any kids can use my spare boats. Your kids can go out solo or together on an Arafura and you can go on it with them if you want, they're an incredibly buoyant boat fast and wet in heavy weather with me on it. The Arafura has a swinging centre board near the mast that you can put shock cord on as a break away if they hit the bottom. If the kids go out solo on a light day with an onshore breeze they wont need the board down at first and I have some short rudder blades that work in about a foot of water so the kids can go and have fun. The only problem is the long boom so consider helmets. If I were to get a new sail I would get a high aspect rig for them so that it had a shorter lighter boom like an A class. We do club visits to Rivoli Bay sailing club only 100km from us and they have 2xCobra's with spin, one of them competed in our race this weekend along with a fast Mozzie. I bought all 4 cats from Kangaroo Island as they changed from cats to Lasers, rang to buy 1 boat came home with 4 but that sort of thing happens to me. I know where there's a good Arafura for sale at the moment but it depends where you are PM me if you get keen. The Arafura has flat hulls so they beach easy and stack on other cats perfectly, I put some blocks on the beams with carpet on them then put the Arafura on it. When looking at them to buy just check for little cracks around the bottom seams that’s where the tape and glue has parted and will let heaps of water in, it’s easy to fix but if the hulls need lots of work I would just build new ones. In this photo you can see my 5.8 with an Arrow on it and the Arafura Cadet on it, I towed it 400km to Barmera for a camping holiday last spring. I leave them mast up at the club Arrow on the trailer Arafura on top, normal beach rollers won’t work so I made special cradles. As for Sauna sail that’s high on my list so may well see you there.

Attached Files
Stacked cats at Lake Bonney.JPG (1537 downloads)
Stacked cats at Lake Bonney
Stacked cats.JPG (2572 downloads)

Jeff Southall
Current boats
Nacra 5.8 1703 Animal Scanning Services
Nacra 5.8 1667 Ram Raider
Nacra 18 Square
Arrow 1576