Hi all,

I have been following the progress of the development of the F12 class since I first saw an article in Multihull World in Aus last year. Firstly, congratulations to all of you across the world who are contributing to this new class. I can imagine how difficult it is to float a new class, get momentum behind it and eventually critical mass.

I have sailed various classes over the last 25 plus years including Arafura Cadet, Mosquitos, Taipans, F16's etc, and I can see a real place for an entry level junior cat class.

I have no desire to buy into the debate that has developed over the design/class, and if I thought my comments here would be taken as negative, then I would not post, as I have nothing but respect for all of you as you undertake this journey.

However, with 3 sons, and a potential customer/builder of a number of F12's in coming years, I do have some comments on the design concept.

I agree there is a need for a contempory, entry level cat, which will replace boats such as the Arafura cadet (which I loved as a kid, but that is progress). I believe it needs to be kept simple, efficient, robust, safe and cost effective.

I can't help but feel that the current rules are too broad and allow too much development scope, which may see the class stray away from the objectives as set out in the first few lines of the draft class rules. Imagine what I consider the worst case:- designers, builders and buyers with deep pockets developing all carbon boats, including platforms, masts, beams, rudder stocks, boards, booms etc. I am guessing a boat like this would be somewhere over $10K. Certainly not cost effective in my book for an entry level class, in the hands of 8+ year olds.

I imagine a simple model, that allows flexibility in hull design/construction methods, ie. ply, foam sandwich, etc. however with restrictions on rig design, beam design and material, rudder stock materials, etc. Do we really see this entry level class being a development class similar to the A Class? If so, fine, but I imagine this may reduce the possible purchaser/builder population, and may disengage the teens who are sailing these things and get pissed off when someone comes along with something newer/better/etc.

I have never lost a single $ on buying/selling boats (obviously except for maintenance/running rigging, etc)cos I have always sailed boats like mozzies, taipans, etc that I knew would hold their value year on year assuming kept in good condition.

Anyway, just my thoughts. I will continue to review all of your progress with interest and wish you all the very best for your future efforts to get the class a vibrant addition to any club and regatta.

Regards,

Ross