Originally Posted by waynemarlow
Interesting pitch to bring Hobie on board, it would seem a no brainer to me that Hobie should enter the F16 market as after all the Hobie 16's are now boat park antiques and Hobie has no natural sucessor even after all these years to compete with the Nacra boats which have a couple around 16feet. Also the F16 is a growing market which naturally fits in with the F18 market, big boys for the F18, light weight crews for the F16 all on the same handicap.It would matter little to Hobie financially if they sold a F16 or a F18, the profit margin would be similar.

But and here is the but, from a personal view, I'm not sure I want Hobie to come along and play for a number of reasons. Principally at the moment the F16's are a very social, fun, good times for all class. Go to an F18 event and it is very competative, with hired jocks fuelled up by " I must win to maintain my job " and a " its not my boat, I don't care attitude as I'll always be given another one".

Also if Hobie came along to play, would we see the huge development we are seeing in the boats at the moment by the small builders, after all Hobie has to maintain a design for a good few years as its clients would not be pleased to find the boats are continually needing upgrading to the latest trend to be at the top of the fleet. Mind you in looking at the existing F16 fleet which has huge variation in design and innovation, the good skippers still win. maybe the F16 box rule equals things out better than they first could have hoped for.

But like all things in sailing, if it means more bums out on the water then lets get the Hobie corp on side. That means every Hobie owner should get out there and hassle there nearest agent for when the Hobie F16 is going to be launched. cool

I tend to agree with you on this one Wayne. I think Hobie might have overlooked the virtues of the F16 market but they have been successfully producing and selling beach Cats for quite some time now. To my mind I don't think any of the three large manufacturers can afford to build F16's to a cost effective min weight. However, the Viper is starting to gain momentum in the US and AUS and some good results this year could prove very interesting. Maybe, just maybe, Hobie might have a change of heart and possibly NACRA might be interested if it's proven that approx 20kgs additional platform weight doesn't compromise performance and results.
However, having the big guns play in our pond is like a double edged sword as you say. We'll just have to see how things pan out. At the end of the day not many Cats can give the all round enjoyment of a F16 so I can't see me jumping ship for a long time.

MP*MULTIHULLS