Originally Posted by Smiths_Cat
well, we don't know how difficult the boats are to sail. Sitting on the canape in front of a tv and judge that Spithill or EB made some stupid mistakes...

I'm not sure I follow your argument. Are you saying that Alinghi was out of position because the crew couldn't handle the boat? They are far, far better sailors than we.

What would you call going into irons one minute before the start? What would you call being out of the starting area during the sequence? I'd call them mistakes - ones that the world's top sailors shouldn't be making.

If I just see that they have to helm the boats with a steering wheel instead of a tiller, how can thez have the right feedback from the boat with that. The traveller and sheets have servo assisted winches. What wind to you feel on deck, what is the wind 150ft above your head. It is totally different to what we are used with from our boats.

Wheels give feedback too. So do the 250 onboard sensors (supposedly how many BMWO has). I'm sure both crews had vastly better understanding of the wind conditions onboard (and above) their boats than any of us sailing by feel.