I think the C-class wings are more complicated in some ways, and less in others, than BMWO`s wing. The C-class have 3-part wings with 2 slots, as they need to be more efficient as they have no headsails.
BMWO has the 9 or so adjustable flaps all the way up the wing - this is actually not a very aerodynamic solution as there must be tip or edge vortices off each top & bottom end of each flap when they are opened to simulate a twisted mainsail.
I believe Cogito had a way of inducing twist up the trailing edge of the rear flap of the entire wing, without having any gaps between the sections, which would seem like a more refined solution, probably why they won the LAC several times with the same mostly unaltered design.
BMWO designers probably took this all into account and chose the simplest solution which they could, knowing that a headsail would assist the wing develop power, something missing from C-class cats. They also know that they were up against a soft sail, so ultimate efficiency was not a priority, as long as it was more efficient and versatile than a soft sail they knew they had a winner.
Stop me now if I`m talking rubbish. grin