Regarding:
Originally Posted by Tony_F18
From what I understand it isnt even required to actually wear the PFD? But it must only be easilly accesible?
So basically you could stuff both into a bag and tie it to the tramp and no-one would be able to protest you?
(Assuming you sail in open-class obviously).
Originally Posted by mikekrantz
From what I have observed over the years.

The US rules have evolved from:
-requiring a pfd on board
-requiring a pfd to be worn while racing
-requiring a USCG Type-X pfd to be worn while racing

Now, I'm no expert on USCG regulations, let alone state or local boating laws. Furthermore, there are several exceptions, and exceptions to the exceptions the way things are written. Also, US SAILING has no control over when, where, and how the laws may change. That said, here are some of the basic laws/rules as I understand them:
  • Children under 13 must either wear an appropriate USCG approved PFD, or be below deck in an enclosed cabin.
  • If RC has correctly displayed code flag "Y", competitors must wear PFDs while racing. Rules 27.1 and 40 do not specify that the worn PFDs meet any particular certification standard.
  • A recreational vessel may not be used unless at least one USCG Type I, II, III, or V PFD is on board for each person. Furthermore, the PFDs must be readily accessible, in good condition, and of an appropriate size.
  • USCG Type V PFDs only count as being aboard if they are being worn, and may only be used by persons 16 years or older.
  • If the recreational vessel is 16 or more feet long, it may not be used unless a Type IV (throwable) PFD is on board in an immediately accessible location.

Except for children under 13 years old, or when the "Y" flag is flown, or for Type V PFDs) there is no requirement that PFDs actually be worn - just that they be on board.

Except for children under 13, there is no requirement that the PFD worn be USCG certified - just that certified PFDs be on board.

Regarding the "Y" flag, there is an ongoing discussion in the race management community. Some people feel that RC should use it when prudent. Others think it's a de-facto admission of liability and an invitation to lawsuits. The skipper of each boat is ultimately responsible for the safety of all those on board.

Regards,
Eric