1. Many of my competitors regularly break this rule.
2. Never has anybody protested them for it.
3. Therefore, breaking this rule is acceptable and correct ethical behavior.

Actually,
1) All of the competitors...
2) .... Nor have they initiated a protest.

3) Acceptable and correct ethical behavior ???

This is YOUR judgment and then putting the words in my mouth or suggesting that I judge my actions against your standard.

Your presumption is that there is some judge and jury measuring "Acceptable Behavior" and evaluating the "Ethics and Ethical behavior" of the situation.

Who died and left you or anyone else in charge here?

I take the view that ethics and morals are generated by the appropriate community... in this instance... the class community has no ethical or moral dilemma with nullifying this rule and the class members are not measured and judged against YOUR arbitrary standard of proper and ethical.

Look... if the class could strike the prescription it probably would. Individuals can choose to carry a USCG vest and a type 4 to align with federal law and the US prescriptions but they can't hurl the moral and ethical charges at members of the class.

The sport is self policing.. IE... its driven from the bottom. This problem is driven by the inclusion of federal law into the USA version of the rules of the game from on high. It's exacerbated by your willingness to judge "proper behavior" and declare that the rank and file are "ethically challenged".

The solution is simply to leave the moral, behavioral ethical NON issues alone. In the rare instances where a protest bubbles up... match the evidence to the rule and apply the rules. Leave the judging on moral and ethical stuff to a higher non earthly power.

crac.sailregattas.com